Importing parts from USA

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Hss anyone got any suggestions on how to import parts from the states cheaply? I'm looking to import a panel from the states, the ebay seller does not provide postage to the UK.
Ideally I would imagine I need to share space in someone else's shipping container?

Thanks

johnymd

Club Member
I would think panels are risky to import unless packaged in a wooden crate. Which would put the cost up quite a lot. I would try and source parts from the UK if possible.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Woody, it's a roof panel to replace a sunroof on mine. Any spares panels that you have I may be interested. I like ur the bulkhead panel, mine is rotten (260z) and I'm tempted to replace rather than repair.
I'm going to get it plastic bead blasted in a couple of weeks to undercover the true horror!

Mark N - Thanks for shipping suggestion.

woody

Club Member
Cant help you with the roof skin i`m afraid but i`ll keep my eyes and ears open, I can help you with your bulk head panel if you think it needs replacing , just let me know, good look with the roof skin

Garaculas

Club Member
I've been looking into doing the exact same thing for the roof of my 240.

Anyone still able to offer any help/advice with this?

Cheers!

Moriarty

Well-Known Forum User
I've been looking into doing the exact same thing for the roof of my 240.

Anyone still able to offer any help/advice with this?

Cheers!

1. However long you think it will take, double it
2. Buy more than 1 spot weld drill there are over 100 to drill out
3. The front return on the windscreen pillars is a little tricky as the metal fold is complex
4. Be extra careful on the rain gutter spot welds, there's not much meat there
5. Learn to puddle weld if you don't have access to a spot welder.
6. The leaded joint at the back can be a little tricky to clear out and "un lead" a blow torch, wire brush and plenty of patience is needed, some of it can be skinny disc'd out
7. Don't try and take the roof off/put new one on by yourself, its fragile and tricky
8. Don't despair, with the roof off you will think "Oh what have I done" persevere and take your time, the devil is in the detail
9. With the roof off, treat the exposed metal to some protective coating, its been there a while and once the roof is back on, it will be there a while longer.

Finally Buy beer to celebrate, as once done (properly) its one of the most satisfying jobs you will do.........especially if it rids you of the dreaded sunroof.

Just some thoughts

datsfun

Club Member
3. The front return on the windscreen pillars is a little tricky as the metal fold is complex
6. The leaded joint at the back can be a little tricky to clear out and "un lead" a blow torch, wire brush and plenty of patience is needed, some of it can be skinny disc'd out
7. Don't try and take the roof off/put new one on by yourself, its fragile and tricky
8. Don't despair, with the roof off you will think "Oh what have I done" persevere and take your time, the devil is in the detail
9. With the roof off, treat the exposed metal to some protective coating, its been there a while and once the roof is back on, it will be there a while longer.

Finally Buy beer to celebrate, as once done (properly) its one of the most satisfying jobs you will do.........especially if it rids you of the dreaded sunroof.

Just some thoughts

Better still, sell your car ( with sunroof) and buy one without :smash: :p

Garaculas

Club Member

Just some thoughts

Great feedback on the process, really appreciate that!! :thumbs: