Im new and i have ?'s

HotRicanNa300

New Forum User
Hey guys,

New to this forum got a couple questions about my Z. I bought my Z got a great deal (so i thought) and when i brought it home i felt something drip on my foot. Whast do ya know its the HEATER CORE! I wanted to jump off a bridge because i know the job isnt very hard its just very tedieous and i just wanted to enjoy my car not have to worry about crap like that. Well know will driving it when i get up to 55mph i feel a vibration throughout the car and i know its not the alignment or brakes because i just did the brakes and i kno the alignment is straight. Im assuming its the drive shaft but if any one else has n e other suggestions to what it may be than please let me know. Oh and if anyone is selling hks exhaust holllerrr < haha yes with the er!

<3 Crystal

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
The vibration could well be the propshaft out of allignment and mean that you need a new propshaft centre bearing and/or rear gearbox mount to put it back into line!
A common fault on these cars.

alanz

Well-Known Forum User
HEY THERE

I WOULD SAY THE VIBE IS PROPSHAFT CENTRE BEARING TOO, BUT IT COULD ALSO BE THE U.J.'S ON THE SHAFT.

CHECK OUT WWW.Z1MOTORSPORTS.COM FOR A GOOD DEAL ON 1 PIECE SHAFTS.

I HAVE A HKS SUPER DRAGER CAT BACK EXHAUST FOR 300ZX Z32 TT, SINGLE EXIT ON THE RIGHT FOR SALE. EXCELLENT SOUND, VERY DEEP AND GOOD ROAR. IS 3 YEARS OLD, GOOD CONDITION, COST ME £650+VAT. LOOKING FOR AROUND £200 PLUS P+P.

CHEERS

ALAN

HotRicanNa300

New Forum User
Wow not what i expected...

Hey guyz thanks for all your help i found out it was the buschings. Now im not going to get my car for another 2 weeks i have to put new injectors in my z too. :( so much money but it will all be worth it on the highway. WoopWOoP. Well yeah thanks for the response sorry i didnt get back to you sooner.

<3 Crystal

Alan Mac

Forum User
The wife bought a Z32 LWB on Saturday and as soon as I picked up speed in it, there was a loud droning noise and a pronounced vibration through the shell. Noise doesn't increase or decrease when cornering, so not wheel bearings. Wheels could probably do with a decent dynamic balancing but don't think they are the cause. No clunking noises, just a constant loud whine at speeds above 40mph. Propshaft centre bearing? I think so, but is there anything else these cars are known for which may cause the noise? I'm a total Z novice except for a 6 month stint with a 240Z 20 years ago (wish I still had that car!!!).
Can anyone recommend a supplier for the centre bearing as the only price I've seen so far was £250, which is taking the p*ss for a bearing. To put it in context a Transit propshaft bearing is £15 and a Volvo 760 bearing is £40. £250 is definitely taking the.......................
Car is a typical eBay buy. Description was not particularly accurate and spent the whole trip home finding new faults to fix. Some sellers on there really need a good kicking. lol.

Alan Mac

Forum User
Got a quote from MJP. £230 including P&P.

Also got a quote from www.carjunky.com in California, $167.95 plus carriage. Unfortunately they don't ship to UK but will deliver free to any address in USA. Trying to get someone who will forward it to me from America. Part number is : W0133-1722119 (non turbo) for anyone interested. Turbo model part number: W0133-1602594. $173.95.

Why is there such a difference in parts prices between UK and USA. Surely it can't be that we are stupid in the UK? USA price is approximately £85 for the part, yet it is £170 + vat here. Strange!

Alan Mac

Forum User
Has anyone dealt with a company called Jonnyz? They're selling a one piece propshaft design which does away with the centre bearing and weighs half the OEM item. £200 plus a tenner to post. Seems quite cheap for a brand new shaft, if it actually works.

Lets Drift

Well-Known Forum User
Has anyone dealt with a company called Jonnyz? They're selling a one piece propshaft design which does away with the centre bearing and weighs half the OEM item. £200 plus a tenner to post. Seems quite cheap for a brand new shaft, if it actually works.
Not used or heard of them.. I used z1motorsports in the US one piece propshaft and rear nismo gearbox mount and it's 24lb's lighter than the orginal 2 peice. It's was also cheaper for me to import the one peice from the States' that included import tax and delivery than buying the bearing bit in the UK.

Oh and they delivered it in 48hours from ordering it. Most place's I tried for a 1 peice in the UK wanted my old prop shaft as a template and it would have meant no zed to drive for 3-5 weeks. I would have cost me double that price as well.

I'd find out where that propshaft orginated from if it's the States' then yes that's a good price however if it's a cheap Chinese knock off then I'd ran in the opposite direction.

eileen

Alan Mac

Forum User
Thanks for the advice Eileen. Getting really pissed off with the Z as it has sat outside for 7 weeks un-used. It was bought for my wife as she liked the look of them but this particular car has put her off. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, runs like a dream, handles like a Ferrari and has a great turn of speed for a N/A (think it has been tuned quite a bit as there's evidence of a lot of money being spent on it/ aftermarket parts), it's just got so many niggly faults and needs a fair bit of cash thrown at it which wasn't budgeted for. The prop is the main problem as the noise is un-bearable and it probably isn't far from coming to meet the floorpan at speed.
I'll ask the question of Tommyz as to where they come from (I got the impression they were made in the UK), but again, I'm relying on him being honest and my faith is more than a little dented in that respect by the lies the seller told when we bought the car. Scumbag!

Alan Mac

Forum User
Just did a bit of research. Jonnys appears to be a z scrapyard in England but is offering new single piece props for a Z32 variants.

Alan Mac

Forum User
Had a look at z1 site. How much did it all come to imported from the states Eileen? Also tempted to get the gearbox mount just incase. I know it will be dearer than you paid cause the pound is now worth nothing but would give me an idea. Need to do something with it soon or it'll end up being sold on at a massive loss. Better to spend than lose, eh?

Lets Drift

Well-Known Forum User
Had a look at z1 site. How much did it all come to imported from the states Eileen? Also tempted to get the gearbox mount just incase. I know it will be dearer than you paid cause the pound is now worth nothing but would give me an idea. Need to do something with it soon or it'll end up being sold on at a massive loss. Better to spend than lose, eh?

You'll have to tell them it's for the N/A the lady who takes the orders is very clued up.

okay www.z1motorsports.com

1 Piece Platinum TT Driveshatf TT for a 2+2 transmissioin 5 speed $510.00
1 Nismo Transmitton Mount $72
5 sp transmission rear seals $11.90
Delivery $163.80

Total invoice $757.70 = at the time £378

with £24.75 import tax

I bought mine in april so yeah the exchange was different

I know what you mean about zed's I'm in the process of doing things to mine (uk spec TT) I'm about to get it a new heater matrix as I'm fed up of driving this time of year in a car with no heating and having to have the Air Con on full blasted to keep the window's from foggying up.

However the enjoyment I get from driving it is all worth it in the end:thumbs:

I've had to replace injectors, and coil packs and the mechinsim that works the windscreen wipers but hey it's 16years old so what can one expect ;)

This year been a the clutch, gearbox and prop shaft, oh and I had it rewelded underneath as I don't do welding

Plus a load of braided fuel and brake lines, a struc brac, a brake stopper, and refurb kits for the calipers

Next year new bigger injector's, chipped ecu, booster controller, new dirvoced down pipes, bigger intercooler, reconditioned and ported turbo's, bigger fronts ends, oh the list goes no and no :lol:

Let alone all the oil changes, coolant flush's and brake fluid changes I've done this year :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGSSS

Well-Known Forum User
So. You're saying Z ownership is easy then? lol
Hi bud, there's a guy on the other forum (Z31/Z32) www.300zx-club.com selling a complete prop with a new centre prop bearing, his user names jimmytt. He just bought the new bearing a couple of months back then decided to get a single piece prop. You shouldn't have any probs logging in as affiliated with this club.:thumbs:

Alan Mac

Forum User
Thanks for that. Ordered the single piece prop as it's a lot less hassle in the long run. Hopefully it will arrive before Christmas so I can do it over the holidays. Been using it the last few days as my Scooby has disgraced itself AGAIN! I'm quite taken with it myself. Come the summer, there may well be two Z32's on the driveway as I quite fancy a SWB slicktop TT.
I'd love to get my hands on a short wheelbase 260Z but they seem to be getting really strong money now (and I remember when they were worth half of nothing). So a Z32 it may well be unless I get the Volvo T5 bug again or a suitable Legacy TT estate falls in my lap. lol

Alan Mac

Forum User
Prop arrived on the 24th and it looks luvverly! Guess who'll be on his back at some point over the next few days and not a drink in sight. lol

Merry Christmas to all, especially those who have helped this ZX virgin get to first base. lol