Ignition Barrel

iandecjak

Club Member
Has anyone else had a similar problem.
When starting the car on the key it does nothing for a number of turns, can be anything from 1 to 6 before the car turns over. I have tried turning the key quicker etc but nothing seems to make any difference and eventually it fires up for no rhyme or reason. I am not sure what can be checked, cleaned/repaired or is it a case of hunting around for a new barrel from god knows where and swapping it out?

Huw

Club Member
I have a new spare ignition switch you can borrow to see if that solves the issue before you shell out on one.

Huw

iandecjak

Club Member
Thanks for the response Mark am I reading it right that you can just replace the switch unit on the end of the barrel?
As I only have one key for my current ignition and use a different one for the doors/hatch it might be better for me to get a complete unit from US with 2 keys at not much more money as getting a new key cut has proved problematic.
Huw thanks for the offer of a loan switch but I feel confident this is the issue and will order a unit and let everyone know how I get on :)

Huw

Club Member
Thanks for the response Mark am I reading it right that you can just replace the switch unit on the end of the barrel?
As I only have one key for my current ignition and use a different one for the doors/hatch it might be better for me to get a complete unit from US with 2 keys at not much more money as getting a new key cut has proved problematic.
Huw thanks for the offer of a loan switch but I feel confident this is the issue and will order a unit and let everyone know how I get on :)

It’s easy enough to change the switch part of the barrel. There are a few on eBay at the moment.

Look at this on eBay

I had a new ignition key cut at Timpson’s in town. I did provide a blank but they had one available anyway. What issue have you had trying to get one cut?

Last edited:

Mark N

Club Member

You won't need to change the key or the barrel, just the switch on the back.
If you remove the indicator stalk cover and unbolt the column from the underside of the dash, you may be able to access the two screws that hold the switch onto the barrel.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Whenever I've had these types of symptoms - on several different models, including a C10-series Skyline - it has been due to one of the male terminals on the back of the switch unit cracking at the riveted join. Just enough to make a sometimes-connected, sometimes-not, intermittent and totally unpredictable problem.

I've had some success in repairing them by removing the problem terminal and making up a new one which can be carefully soldered on. Certainly cheaper and quicker than sourcing a new one.

iandecjak

Club Member
I can see that getting the whole unit out is a bit of a phaff with the shear screws etc so now think (after all the comments) that a new switch is the way to go :) I would like to think my skills would reach to fabricating a new terminal and soldering it on but would only be kidding myself. Huw, with regard to new key blanks is it Ebay or do you have a secret source somewhere?

iandecjak

Club Member
Rock Autos are doing a switch which is less than £30 delivered incl import charge which is quite a bit cheaper than those on Ebay. Will be ordering one tomorrow :) As for the ignition key the one I have is actually on a HD UK made blank so will visit the locksmith in Staple Hill and see what he can do. Will let all know how I get on.......thanks again for all the help; much appreciated.

iandecjak

Club Member
Finally got round to replacing the ignition switch. What I probably didn't appreciate was the difficulty of getting the steering wheel cowl off especially when working with +40 year old plastic - neurosurgeons have an easier job. Once that was achieved then the lower dashboard panel also had to be removed to give a fighting chance of getting at the back of the ignition barrel in order to unscrew the tiny screws retaining the old switch to the barrel.
Anyway, the actual swapping of the switch was fairly straightforward in the end and putting it all back began, after of course checking the car started on first key turn, success!!!
Again the issue was around locating and securing the cowl without breaking anything and where three hands would also help. Once all back in place I checked start up which again was instant. The only problem now being the indicators not working although the headlights, windscreen wiper and hazards were all ok.
So I stripped all down again to check the wiring connections as I must have disturbed something on refit. All appeared ok and I was a little stumped until I checked the fuse and found the 10A Flasher one was blown:iamwithstupid:
Replaced the fuse and entered a second reassembly which went a little better as by now I was becoming somewhat of an expert.
So the new switch works a treat and the problem is fixed, just be careful if you have to do this job, take your time with the cowl and mark where each screw comes from as there are a lot of them :thumbs: