Identifying my 260z ignition

Timbo

Club Member
Hi,
Looking to get some help identifying my ignition system and accompanying coil.
Presuming that the 1974 car would have originally had points and happy they’re gone, but still has the ballast so should I presumed this is an electronic firer and as the ballast is stil, there, should be supplying the Rev counter okay.
Plus what coil might replace the one here? There is no identifying text left on the rusty exterior.

While it works and runs fine, I am ultimately investigating a non functioning rev counter which from reading some other posts, could be associated with someone replacing the points with this updated system and it being incompatible with the old style tachometer, but I could have misunderstood.

All a bit new to me so all pointers received with gratitude.

C69D2A79-8472-4ADA-9AB3-F9BCF4D6FD69.jpeg F7D5D405-8C8B-4202-827E-A33CBEC7FFA7.jpeg 5B0A1B59-E730-4FBD-BBC0-41B19F6C7617.jpeg A73C1BC5-DD4E-4127-9388-1006A431B178.jpeg 72A259C7-C97A-45FA-9FBD-CDDA24485CE2.jpeg

Last edited:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It looks like a 280z distributor to me. It could be that it's original equipment for a US 260z.
As I said in your other thread, I think your coil /ballast resistor wiring might be wrong.
From your pic, you've got the b/w wire direct to the ballast resistor, but I reckon you need the g/w wire to (from?) the ballast resistor and the b/w wire goes to the the coil.

49337ce2ac02b9afd016f57c602b9154.jpg

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
It is distributor from US 260z

not the well known one that we can see in Europe on 280zx, not the one with points (1 or 2 points...)... another very specific

you can find parts on rock auto or other us dealers by looking at 260z 74/75

in Europe, 260z were still équiped with points

Hi,
Looking to get some help identifying my ignition system and accompanying coil.
Presuming that the 1974 car would have originally had points and happy they’re gone, but still has the ballast so should I presumed this is an electronic firer and as the ballast is stil, there, should be supplying the Rev counter okay.
Plus what coil might replace the one here? There is no identifying text left on the rusty exterior.

While it works and runs fine, I am ultimately investigating a non functioning rev counter which from reading some other posts, could be associated with someone replacing the points with this updated system and it being incompatible with the old style tachometer, but I could have misunderstood.

All a bit new to me so all pointers received with gratitude.

View attachment 38074 View attachment 38075 View attachment 38076 View attachment 38077 View attachment 38078

Timbo

Club Member
It looks like a 280z distributor to me. It could be that it's original equipment for a US 260z.
As I said in your other thread, I think your coil /ballast resistor wiring might be wrong.
From your pic, you've got the b/w wire direct to the ballast resistor, but I reckon you need the g/w wire to (from?) the ballast resistor and the b/w wire goes to the the coil.

49337ce2ac02b9afd016f57c602b9154.jpg
Thanks Jon. I'll give changing them round a go and see what happens. Presuming it can't do any major damage.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Timbo

Club Member
It is distributor from US 260z

not the well known one that we can see in Europe on 280zx, not the one with points (1 or 2 points...)... another very specific

you can find parts on rock auto or other us dealers by looking at 260z 74/75

in Europe, 260z were still équiped with points
Thank you. Found it on Rockauto as suggested.
Distributor is fine, but couldn't resist and ordered a new 'Professional' AC Delco coil.
Must stop buying things for my Datsun everytime I find a new shop [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk