I pray I can get some answers to this conundrum

johnymd

Club Member
Picking wheels is never that easy with lots of people having different views and experience. I like to think I tell it as it is and have quit a bit of experience with different wheel sizes so I'll recap on some of the wheels on my cars.

Blue car - Lowered quit a lot with coilovers, adjustable bottom arms and top mounts plus rolled arches. Rota grid 16x8 et10, 225r50 r888 tyres. Both front and rear rubbed occasionally without rolling. The fronts catched on the top front of the arch under cornering and the rears at the top rear of the arch. Its OK now with a combination of rolling and suspension adjustment.

Silver car - Lowered a lot, coilovers and rolled arches. 7twenty 16x8 et0, 205r50 AD08r. Both rubbed so I had to put the top of the strut and have more camber. Still very close.

Silver ratty car - Lowered with coilovers and no arch rolling. Rota RKR 15x8 et0, 205r50 T1r. As these wheels are quit small I have enough gap to the arch so it doesn't rub. I think if I lowered it more then it would rub, even with 205 tyres.

Red 280z - Standard suspension with lowering springs and rolled arches. Centreline 16x7, 225r50 Ns2r. Didn't rub at all due to the 7" wheels and arch rolling plus the car wasn't very low at all.

To sum up. Some will say a 225 will fit but I've not found this to be true. The other issue is with clearance the wheel/tyre to strut. There is more clearance with a standard strut than coilover due to the perch and adjust locations.

Fastededdie

Club Member
Picking wheels is never that easy with lots of people having different views and experience. I like to think I tell it as it is and have quit a bit of experience with different wheel sizes so I'll recap on some of the wheels on my cars.

Blue car - Lowered quit a lot with coilovers, adjustable bottom arms and top mounts plus rolled arches. Rota grid 16x8 et10, 225r50 r888 tyres. Both front and rear rubbed occasionally without rolling. The fronts catched on the top front of the arch under cornering and the rears at the top rear of the arch. Its OK now with a combination of rolling and suspension adjustment.

Silver car - Lowered a lot, coilovers and rolled arches. 7twenty 16x8 et0, 205r50 AD08r. Both rubbed so I had to put the top of the strut and have more camber. Still very close.

Silver ratty car - Lowered with coilovers and no arch rolling. Rota RKR 15x8 et0, 205r50 T1r. As these wheels are quit small I have enough gap to the arch so it doesn't rub. I think if I lowered it more then it would rub, even with 205 tyres.

Red 280z - Standard suspension with lowering springs and rolled arches. Centreline 16x7, 225r50 Ns2r. Didn't rub at all due to the 7" wheels and arch rolling plus the car wasn't very low at all.

To sum up. Some will say a 225 will fit but I've not found this to be true. The other issue is with clearance the wheel/tyre to strut. There is more clearance with a standard strut than coilover due to the perch and adjust locations.

That's my thought I will keep the standard strut I have at the mow and work with that. Great advice though. Like Ali you live these cars.

datsfun

Club Member
The ET IS 0 so must be better than ET10 OR 20. But as Iam looking for answers will it rub at the front?

The answer again is it depends:)

Rub where ? The strut or the wheel arch

How low will the car be ?

Will you go with coilovers?

What tyre size have you in mind ?

John's posts above ( Silver ratty car) gives the best answer you are going to get, save for installing the wheels yourself...

johnymd

Club Member
So, working on the principle that my blue car with 8" wheels and et10, these wheels would be 2.5mm closer to the strut (so should be OK) and 12.5mm closer to the arch. The smallest tyre you should be running on this wheel is 225 so the same as the blue car. You will need to fully roll the arches (which is a good idea anyway) and maybe pull the arch a little bit when they are rolled and you will probably get away with it.

If I was in your position, starting with a car that will need bodywork then I'd get the wheels and tyres and roll/pull the arches to make them fit before painting the car. I think the amount of pull will be minimal and the car will still look factory.

Last edited:

Fastededdie

Club Member
Great and perfectly put. The answer was simply explained and to the point is what it's all about. Now I know and will do just that work on the body first stripping all the paint off. We'v already sent the under carriage off to get sand blasted. The lot Brakes suspension steering and everything that moves except the diff and gearbox that we'v cleaned up and looks like new. Total cost sandblasting etch primed and powder coated £200 . I thought he was joking. All we had too do was strip everything and they are doing the rest. Even blocking up where the sand may get into the joints. I live in Reading and they Unimex are on Cardiff road.

Fastededdie

Club Member
I have tried the previous wheels I ordered and they fitted at PCD 100. I also measured my S30 Wheel PCD and it is defo 100

Last edited:

johnymd

Club Member
I've put the rear suspension on my grey project to check the first set of wheels you mentioned. 15x8.5 et20. In the first photo they touch on the spring adjusters. On the second picture I used a 10mm spacer and they fit pretty much perfect. I would suggest a higher profile tire than I used so you don't need to lower it as much.

Attachments

• IMG_5221.JPG
    IMG_5221.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5225.JPG
    IMG_5225.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5227.JPG
    IMG_5227.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5228.JPG
    IMG_5228.JPG