I just bought a 280Z in California ! | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

I just bought a 280Z in California !

Discussion in 'General' started by SeanDezart, Jun 7, 2020.

?

Which wheels please ?

Poll closed Oct 7, 2020.
  1. No1

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No.2

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. No.3

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Other (please load photo/s)

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SeanDezart

SeanDezart Well-Known Forum User

It has been a while since I wanted a 2nd Z, closer to stock for country-runs, even with the family (there are four of us). I looked at the 2 + 2s and 2x seaters because even with two adults behind the wheels, we are going to carry our 2x children and frankly they are already tall… sitting behind for a while in a 2 + 2 will not be comfortable.

On Craigs ’List, I found a 1977 280Z 2x seater, gold, 5speed with a white interior for which advertised at £12k which the owner bought at a recent auction. It transpires that the owner has since developed a heart condition for which he now has a pace-maker and can't drive the Z.

I paid $ 12,500 (£9,900) then £1,600 for transport, insurance, customs, unloading, appraisal, etc. and delivery to VAR south of Paris for certain works. (list below).
    This year before Christmas, I will have my 2x Zs and not before time as President of Club Datsun-France.

Planned works:

BC Racing suspension and improved anti-roll bars
    New bushes (and if necessary) weather-seals everywhere
    Remove bumpers and replace with 240Z chrome style without rubber corners
    Mount a tall grid from Skillard keeping the indicators inside but transparent as on the 4x wings.
    Mount one of my exhaust lines with the ‘Fast-Road’ and ‘JDM’ silencer
    Replacement of the diff with a R180 3.9 Subaru torsion
    European headlights and rear lights
    Installation of plexi headlight covers with metal fittings
    Replacement of the dashboard with a new one
    Installation of a kit of ventilated brakes (with or without 4x piston caliper) at the front
    New new windshield and seal
    Complete overhaul, engine oil changes, axle, gearbox, ball joint control, rear brakes, etc.

The engine will remain in stock, possibly with a better fresh air intake….
    Romas carpet and keep the hatch louvres along with the body stripes

New wheels - see poll - please help me choose.

It will arrive in mid-August and I hope to drive with it in November at the latest according to my finances for the work to be done (most of the parts are already purchased!).

For under $ 20k (£16k) I aim to have a nice, slightly different S30, registered in France.

Attached Files:

2. Graeme - CZ

Graeme - CZ
    Z Club Member

Lovely looking example Sean, I’m sure will look great with the treatment you are applying.

Are BC coilovers seen to be a good / best option if replacing the suspension? That’s my next big job. I’m not looking for track performance, just a comfortable ride at probably the same height I have now.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanDezart likes this.
  3. SeanDezart

Thanks Graeme.
    I've been reccomended them by someone who fits them to all his cars. D2 are perhaps less expensive BUT have a reputaion of being very hard, almost track settings which I don't want as I doubt that this car will see the best side of the spectators security fence - I have the better prepared 240Z for that !

And there's no import duty and expensive shipping, they're made in the UK !https://www.bc-racing.co.uk

4. datsfun

datsfun
    Z Club Member

Get them in before 31.12.2020 unless there is some magical extension to go live Brexit date.

I very much doubt they are made in UK. :rolleyes:

SeanDezart likes this.
  5. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

very nice Sean.

SeanDezart likes this.
  6. Graeme - CZ

Graeme - CZ
    Z Club Member

Any tips on fitting? Car is now in a single garage, so raising all 4 corners in order to remove 4 struts to send away a bit of a nightmare. I had wondered if I could just buy the new BC struts and take it somewhere to have them welded / installed in one go. Or, do front / back separately. Any experiences folks can share.

(Look forward to seeing the finished result of the 280z)

7. AD240Z

AD240Z
    Z Club Member

It will make a nice and slightly different ride.

Are you not tempted to keep the bumpers and retain the look........ ?

I have BC coil overs on my blue car . Limited experience with them due to Covid but was really happy with ride and handling so far .

8. status

status Well-Known Forum User

Firstly Baldy you have to get rid of those bumpers
    Secondly have you a scooby diff sorted and if not how much do you expect to pay and wot ratio you looking for as I know a few peeps that break em I’ve got one euro rear light if that’s any help 60 sobs to you
    The Bc coil overs are a good bit of kit ,I’ve got a set on one of my scoobies and I was going to get a set on my Zed but don’t need em overall they are quite good
    And Graham is yours a 240 or 260 as might be able to help you out regarding sending struts off and don’t forget the spindles for the rear

9. Graeme - CZ

Graeme - CZ
    Z Club Member

Hi - it’s a 240

10. status

status Well-Known Forum User

That’s a shame as I’ve got complete set of suspension you could’ve swopped with mine and got em done all together mines a 260

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  11. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

Very nice Sean. Who are you using to ship it over?

SeanDezart likes this.
  12. franky

franky Well-Known Forum User

The basic set from intrax would be a good way forward. Not much more than BC, however with decent quality dampers and made to suit. VA-motorsport will convert struts and send to you, then remove yours and send him your old ones as cores. By the time you factor in 'welding' you're not far away at all.

SeanDezart likes this.
  13. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Treasurer Staff Member Moderator

I like it Sean, super condition and great colour combo.

SeanDezart likes this.
  14. SeanDezart

Bolloré Logistics from LA.

15. SeanDezart

It's just a reguler road car - I'm only going coilovers to get the front and rear heights right.

16. Albrecht

Albrecht Well-Known Forum User

SeanDezart likes this.
  17. SeanDezart

Very apt then....guess that sums up Britains' manufacturing resources - no wonder Boris is giving the Chinese 2.5million passports ; someone'll have the do the dirty work, nursing etc.

Can we say 'bought' in Britain....or maybe I should check with the factory, Alibaba....:)

Can't edit my poll - perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to insert a no. 3 but I would have thought you'd have voted no.2, being a Nissan-related wheel for an HLS30.....

18. peter_s

peter_s
    Z Club Member

Congrats! Same spec as my car, color and everything!

I run the BC coils, it a great budget option. I think you get a lot for the money. If you want something better you'll need the T3 evolved setup. And top of the line would be the KW v3 for our cars.

The BCs are rebuildable, so in theory you could valve them any way want. Same with springs. Only 1way adjustable in terms of damping and compression simultaneously, but they work very well for me. I think they are quite well matched in stock form. I run the 4kg springs all round. For track use I would go up to 5kg in the front. Sure, adjustablilty for compression and rebound separately is what can make a coil over much more comfortable without sacrificing the harder spring rates (which I like), but it costs a lot to build those. The KW 3way clubsport is an excellent example. You can set both high and low speed compression individually, which is makes them drive like a dream on the street and track. Everything else is a compromise... but they are 4000EUR (worth every cent!!).

BC are Taiwanese. Bought mine from driftworks.

SeanDezart and datsfun like this.
  19. Mark N

Mark N
    Z Club Member

That looks lovely and certainly seems to be a very good deal.
    Are you planning any changes for the 280Z front valance or just keeping it as is?
    It's a pity Nissan/Datsun thought it was a good idea to spot weld that rear bumper infill piece onto the rear panel, now that so many people want to fit 240Z bumpers.

SeanDezart likes this.
  20. SeanDezart

Thanks., no just replace the bumpers (of course) and fill up the empty grill space with a 'tall' version from Skillard, using their bumper brakcts to fit the 240Z one upon - all in satin black.

https://skillard.com/product/datsun-280z-front-grill-s30/
    https://skillard.com/product/datsun...ing_wp_cron=1591544784.4985890388488769531250

I wouldn't mind one of these JDM eyelet chin spoilers later but will probably have to change the front corners and valance.....we'll see.

https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/...-for-datsun-240z-260z-280z?variant=2864026180