I can't flash any more!!

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
The little flasher button on my 260Z steering column stalk seems to have stopped working. The stalk itself works to switch the headlights from dipped to main beam and back, but the little button on the end that used to flash the lights has stopped doing so.

Any suggestions as how to sort this?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Have you lost the horn too :eek::lol:

It happened to me the day before an MoT so I temporarily earthed the switch housing to the column - 5 years ago!

Mr.G

Club Member
Remove the plastic housing behind the steering wheel and you will be able to see the contacts on the stalk, sometimes the solder becomes brittle and the wire comes away from it's contact.

To get the plastic housing off, all the screws are located under it, all different screws so remember which hole they came out of to aid in reassembly.

From memory it's a thin White wire located on the stalk that controls the flash button, at least it is on a 240z.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Rob - yes the horn is still working.
Datsun Dave - thanks for the offer! May take you up on that if I can't fix the existing one. Bearing in mind that whenever I touch electricals they always seem to go worse, I don't suppose you have a minute to try and help me check out Mr G's suggestion or, if that doesn't work, swap yours in do you?

datsun dave

Club Member
Rob - yes the horn is still working.
Datsun Dave - thanks for the offer! May take you up on that if I can't fix the existing one. Bearing in mind that whenever I touch electricals they always seem to go worse, I don't suppose you have a minute to try and help me check out Mr G's suggestion or, if that doesn't work, swap yours in do you?

Can have a look later on in the week it might be easier just to swop it over if I have one that works OK.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Can have a look later on in the week it might be easier just to swop it over if I have one that works OK.

Thanks Dave. Give me a call when you get a minute and let me know when suits you. 07810-655646. If I'm teaching, answer service will be on so leave a message. Cheers.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Hmmm... I don't seem to have a flash button, did only certain years/models get that?

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Which stalk, the headlight/wiper one? The switch on the end is for the window washer fluid, and there is no button on the end of the turn signal stalk on my car

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
On the tip of the indicator stalk, it actually says 'pass'.

Mine went AWOL and I found it to be the plug loose on the relay panel.

Steve

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ok, I'm intrigued. My flasher has never worked, so I took it apart to find some silly sod has chopped the wire close to the hole it comes out of, so I have so me keyhole surgery ahead.

However, there is nowhere obvious for it to go to. Where does the white wire go on your cars?

Interestingly it didn't fail the mot for not having a working flasher!

Mr.F

Inactive
The white wire is very prone to spontaneous breakage and it is difficult to get enough spare wire to reconnect or re-solder...
I have a NEW turn signal switch suitable for 260Z 08/76 and onwards - substantial offers invited...

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks for letting me know Mike. The only problem is even with a stall that has the white wire, I can't see anywhere on the downstream loom for it to connect to!!

What colour wire is it supposed to connect with on a UK 260z? Anyone?

Mr.F

Inactive
Photo of rear of new switch - the white wire has its own separate insulation clipped to the back of the switch.

showphoto.php

Attachments

• Turn and flash wire.jpg
    Turn and flash wire.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 21

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks mike really appreciate the photo.

What I'm not sure on is which part of the loom it's supposed to connect to after the insulation. Does it go to ground (0v) on a block connector under the steering col? Or somewhere else!?

Mr.F

Inactive
Part of the problem is that the available wiring diagrams don't give wire colours on the switch side of the loom. From notes I made years ago on a wiring diagram I've just found, my best guess is that the white wire becomes the white with red stripe at the plug i.e. there is a join inside the sub-loom on the plug leading to the 6-way socket (08/76 onwards remember - don't try to apply to earlier cars!). I can't destroy this new one to double-check!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
LOL no don't destroy the precious!!!! Thanks Mike, I'll check again at the weekend and get back to you.

Dale

Club Member
Not long after I got my 260z, I bought a loom off eBay to use as a live diagram to help through my numerous electrical issues. A bit extreme, but it worked. :D

Not sure if it will be of much help but I fished it out and had a quick look. On the first photo is shows that the white wire goes into a black sheath (well mine doesn't, its come away) and it turns into the thin black wire you can see that becomes a spade connection then disappears into the loom.

As Mike said, it turns into a white/red cable and comes out into a block connector (where the negative multimeter probe goes into in the second picture).

The third picture shows a close up of the other colours in the block to help trace yours.

275b589ea67e27a8655f1395985c17d0_zps34f841a8.jpg

9436b3c184c114714f0ef1c3b816d470_zpsc7af4094.jpg

b3c1e31001fdb665793cb4c868dc071f_zps431f19ec.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 5