i brake every thing!

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
God I hate computors.....

Can anyone tell me why my lap top keeps shutting down the internet, it has this morning come up with Data execution protection (DEP) has closed your internet. Its a fairly new pute and on Vista, explorer 8, tried firefox that makes no difference. Its wireless too......half way through doing something it slams shut.......grrrrrrrrrr

Any ideas would would be of great help.:cheers:

Mr.G

Club Member
Grolls,

look at his link which tell you what to do: I keep getting a message Internet Explorer was closed .... Data Execution Prevention has closed Internet Explorer .... even when I try to use on line help... any ides__

Before you do that I would update your antivirus software and run a scan incase there is a virus and your pc is trying to protect itself. What virus program are you currently using?

Don't forget that if you decide to install a different antivirus program to one that is already installed, make sure you delete the existing one - as they will start to work against each other and cause more headache.

PS - I am not a computer expert by any means so if any computer bods can offer better help please do.

rhanagar

Well-Known Forum User
Grolls,

look at his link which tell you what to do: I keep getting a message Internet Explorer was closed .... Data Execution Prevention has closed Internet Explorer .... even when I try to use on line help... any ides__

Before you do that I would update your antivirus software and run a scan incase there is a virus and your pc is trying to protect itself. What virus program are you currently using?

Don't forget that if you decide to install a different antivirus program to one that is already installed, make sure you delete the existing one - as they will start to work against each other and cause more headache.

PS - I am not a computer expert by any means so if any computer bods can offer better help please do.

Thats all very valid. To be honest it doeas sound like you have something dodgy on your computer. I would persoanlly go out and buy an aknowledged antivirus and internet security program. I know people often put Norton down, but PC world often have a copy of their Internet Security software for around £25 that canalso be installed on three seperate computers (which means that if you have a mate or two you can share the cost) As stated uninstall all other antivirus programs you have and install the new one. Then if you can run an update and set it for a full scan.

johnymd

Club Member
To find the reason why a PC is playing up you need to start narrowing down the problem.

Am I right in saying that internet explorer closes with this error and the PC carries on working without a problem? If this is the case then the first thing to try is reset you internet explorer settings. You will find this in Tools>Internet options>Advanced>Reset. This fixes toolbar and addon related issues and a few others. Be aware though you toolbars and all internet explorer settings will go.

If this doesn't fix it then it could be malware/spyware/virus related.
If you know your way around a PC then you could download and run HiJackThis any items that could be effecting IE. BUT ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! The other options are run some cleanup software like: combofix, mailwarebytes antimalware, superantispyware, spybot search and destroy, and NOD32. These are all free downloads apart from NOD but be aware that there are software out there that are similar but not the same as those mentioned(if it asks for money, its the wrong one).

A workaround is to turn off memory protection in IE. Click on Tools, Internet Options, then the Advanced tab. Scroll down to Security and uncheck "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks".

I've fixed this problem on a number of PC's but unfortunately the cure has been different on all of them, hense the various options I've given. Its a memory access issue and with IE8 trying to be very secure giving this error. The way I see it is thats fine for IE but every other peice of software that interacts with IE has to be equally well written and abid by the same memory related rules.

All this information is my own personal opinion and you should make your own mind up as to which route to take, but hope it helps.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
To find the reason why a PC is playing up you need to start narrowing down the problem.

Am I right in saying that internet explorer closes with this error and the PC carries on working without a problem? If this is the case then the first thing to try is reset you internet explorer settings. You will find this in Tools>Internet options>Advanced>Reset. This fixes toolbar and addon related issues and a few others. Be aware though you toolbars and all internet explorer settings will go.

If this doesn't fix it then it could be malware/spyware/virus related.
If you know your way around a PC then you could download and run HiJackThis any items that could be effecting IE. BUT ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! The other options are run some cleanup software like: combofix, mailwarebytes antimalware, superantispyware, spybot search and destroy, and NOD32. These are all free downloads apart from NOD but be aware that there are software out there that are similar but not the same as those mentioned(if it asks for money, its the wrong one).

A workaround is to turn off memory protection in IE. Click on Tools, Internet Options, then the Advanced tab. Scroll down to Security and uncheck "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks".

I've fixed this problem on a number of PC's but unfortunately the cure has been different on all of them, hense the various options I've given. Its a memory access issue and with IE8 trying to be very secure giving this error. The way I see it is thats fine for IE but every other peice of software that interacts with IE has to be equally well written and abid by the same memory related rules.

All this information is my own personal opinion and you should make your own mind up as to which route to take, but hope it helps.

Thanks for the hints n tips so far, still doing it...grrrr.

Re set explorer, didnt make any difference.
re run virus scan, I use avast....so far its been brill
re run spy bot...nothing come up
re checked windows defender..all appears ok.
updated windows and all up to date.
updated adobe and flash players to latest versions.
d/l hijack, it said 590 faults and i gotta pay.....mmmm not sure if the proogy is a rip off.....suggestions???

tried to turn off DEP, but it wont allow it. the tick box is there but in faint type.
reluctant to d/l windows 7 as will lose all music i think as I Player goes if i d/l 7

now i just wanna smash fook out of it...:devil:

johnymd

Club Member
Sounds like you dont have the correct version of hijackthis. Its free and wont find any error, just tells you what is loaded and lets you remove what you want!

If you go back to IE7 it should fix the problem.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds like you dont have the correct version of hijackthis. Its free and wont find any error, just tells you what is loaded and lets you remove what you want!

If you go back to IE7 it should fix the problem.

lE7 >>>>>>

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
How you getting on?

Tried d/l all sorts of proggys that say free until you want them to actually do something. I don't mind paying for a proggy if its the one I need so ended up deleting half a dozen or so yesterday until............... spybot, it was free, it searched and searched. Slowed the pute up to a point you couldn't do a thing with it. It then warned me of 18 problems and asked me if i wanted them to sort it. MMMMM I thought could this be a proggy that actually does what it says on the tin.......Well it appears it has. Internet has been on for two hours today and not crashed.....time will tell as it would only run for 20 mins max before.....

If it sorts it, i'll certainly recomend it........ thanks guys for ya input!!!!!:thumbs:

johnymd

Club Member
With the run up to christmass I've had too much on to be able to elaborate.

Combofix - This will remove most of the fake cleanup/antivirus software that wants you to pay for a problem you dont actually have. The ONLY place to get this is from Welcome to bleepingcomputers.com - Search Results for "bleepingcomputers.com" The other sites are all fakes. Once you have run this you must run some other software to finish the cleanup.

Superantispyware - Just download the free version and it should work fine. SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Malwarebytes anti-malware - Again, just download the free version.

Spybot search and destroy - Its allways free.

Once you have installed these you have to update them. None of these will make you pay for them to remove the problems they find. If they do then you have downloaded a fake.

Spybot has been around for a long time and is still one of my favorites. It does miss a lot that the others find though so its worth trying mailwarebytes and superantispyware.

Last edited by a moderator:

alangrey62

Forum User
If you can try and run the system using a network cable (not wireless) to see if if shuts down. There was a problem with the upgraded digital tv channels causing a problem on wireless systems.

A good free program you can download is CCleaner which has 2 functions - it runs a disc clean up and you can get it to fault find your computer and repair. This is the link and on the top right of the screen you will see the latest version - Download CCleaner 2.27.1070 - FileHippo.com
You can also get it by typing CCLeaner into google and using the filehippo link (the free one)

Failing all that have you got system restore on and just roll it back to an earlier setting.
Alan