I bought two rough enough 260z 2+2............

Parsean

Club Member
So guys, I've wanted a z car for a good while now, and have been searching around alot the last 8months or so trying to find something in budget and that I'd be happy tackling. I live in Southern Ireland but there's really no love for these cars over here so alot of the stuff I was looking at was over in the Mainland UK, until i came across this minter.
IMG_20200201_122425279_HDR.jpg
And although it does look very rough with all the surface rust, none of the arches or anything like that is rusty at all really. The passenger floor is missing however that's not a major issue. The car is an original Irish car out of dublin hence why I kinda went for it over any in the UK, and the fact the price was right for me but who knows, I might have made a dumb choice. There's a few bits I can kinda tell are missing, particularly the odd plastic interior trim however there's so much stuff that did come with it I can't really complain. The original Reg is 537 JYI, incase anyone knows anything about it. I know there's another 2+2 for sale in Ireland at the moment with a similar reg and that's about it. I'm hoping to get it fully stripped and kind of organise what I do and don't have to gauge how much i need to start saving away to put into it. However there was an ebay listing for one as Spares and Repairs that made me head over to England last weekend which I think might help out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200209_183300609.jpg
    IMG_20200209_183300609.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200209_185223747.jpg
    IMG_20200209_185223747.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200209_185232480.jpg
    IMG_20200209_185232480.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200217_212138180.jpg
    IMG_20200217_212138180.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200217_212142778.jpg
    IMG_20200217_212142778.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20200120-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200120-WA0000.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20200120-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200120-WA0002.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-20200120-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200120-WA0001.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-20200120-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200120-WA0009.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 39

Parsean

Club Member
Over the weekend I went over to collect my Ebay win, Another 260z 2+2 which your man had up as spares and repairs as he said the body was too much work to get right. Now personally from what I can see getting it back its not perfect but it certainly isn't unusable. Anyways I took a gamble with it as I knew the extra parts would be handy off it for my own car but after getting it home now, and almost dying in Storm Dennis for it, we finally got him home.IMG_20200216_080701862_HDR.jpg
That's how he looks after driving 5 hours through Storm Dennis, and I don't have a picture of the other side with all the surface rust but I'll upload a picture when i get better shots of the both. I'm not sure whether to just restore the one now or both as I do like the white trooper of a car. Planning on keeping this updated with all my progress on whatever I do. With all the documents with this car tho I did realise someone had swapped the VIN plates from a 260z onto this 2+2 tho. It's reg is ATu 979S and there was a Z club registration card and sticker in the folder so I'm hoping someone might know a little more about this. Its missing a good few of the glass bits tho from it but nothing too major either. Came with a load of spare parts though which is perfect for what I wanted. Not gonna lie though I might be falling for this car just as much as the other! Let me know if you guys have any tips or anything for them.

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_212150449.jpg
    IMG_20200217_212150449.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20200206-203526.png
    Screenshot_20200206-203526.png
    921.6 KB · Views: 36

Bazzateer

Club Member
If you decide to keep both maybe restore one to standard spec as a show car and then modify the other and use regularly?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Fair play for rescuing both of these cars and braving Storm Dennis to get one home! They both look salvageable projects so I hope you have deep pockets!

toopy

Club Member
The main things to be aware of with 2+2's is that aside from the obvious lack of panel availability that affects all z cars, pretty much everything from the A posts back, bar the dash and center console is unique to 2+2. So interior bits, glass, rear hatch etc, i believe underneath though, aside from the propshaft, the running gear is the same as any other Z.

I hope you manage to save if not both, one good car from the bits available, good luck :D

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
That's how he looks after driving 5 hours through Storm Dennis, and I don't have a picture of the other side with all the surface rust but I'll upload a picture when i get better shots of the both. I'm not sure whether to just restore the one now or both as I do like the white trooper of a car. Planning on keeping this updated with all my progress on whatever I do. With all the documents with this car tho I did realise someone had swapped the VIN plates from a 260z onto this 2+2 tho. It's reg is ATu 979S and there was a Z club registration card and sticker in the folder so I'm hoping someone might know a little more about this. Its missing a good few of the glass bits tho from it but nothing too major either. Came with a load of spare parts though which is perfect for what I wanted. Not gonna lie though I might be falling for this car just as much as the other! Let me know if you guys have any tips or anything for them.

So it has an engine bay identity tag from an RS30-prefixed car? What happened to the original factory-engraved chassis number (should be a 'GRS30' prefix) on the firewall? Is it still there, or has it been removed/obscured? What was the original registration identity and VRN of the 2+2? It has a limited future with a fake identity pinned on it.

Worst case scenario is that the original identity of the car has been removed because it was 'hot' in some way. I can't think of any good reason to put a 2-seater identity on a 2+2 and in any case IDENTITIES OF THESE CARS ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE. I would not spend any more money on it or do any work on it until you have resolved the issue.

Robbie J

Club Member
So I'm just getting a US 2+2 dismantled to re-engine it, convert to RHD, I will have a load of spares as I purchased interior, seats and rear glass for the first attempt but the second car does not need it.

I will only sell a lot of the bits after its finished of course but hoping that shouldn't be too long. You can get doglegs for 2+2 in the UK and other bits form Australia and US but not cheap...

The US is a good source of bits, lucky for me I go there every other month as shipping and import duties can stack up. Rockauto will become your friend

Parsean

Club Member
So it has an engine bay identity tag from an RS30-prefixed car? What happened to the original factory-engraved chassis number (should be a 'GRS30' prefix) on the firewall? Is it still there, or has it been removed/obscured? What was the original registration identity and VRN of the 2+2? It has a limited future with a fake identity pinned on it.

Worst case scenario is that the original identity of the car has been removed because it was 'hot' in some way. I can't think of any good reason to put a 2-seater identity on a 2+2 and in any case IDENTITIES OF THESE CARS ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE. I would not spend any more money on it or do any work on it until you have resolved the issue.

As far as I know, the man I got it off had it since 2011, and the guy he bought it off seemed very eager to sell, drove from Bradford to Ware to deliver it to him for no extra cost. He spent £3k on it back then, and I got it for less than half that so I'm not too worried about what it is but Yeah its an rs30 on the vin plate so i may try and find it on the firewall. The man I bought the yellow one off also didn't have the original tax book and as he wasn't in Ireland was planning on doing the exact same thing so I'm not surprised it was done on it. Shame really as it really makes the car no good for anyone to buy it off me. Might keep it as a drivers car though, wouldn't feel as bad modifying it and driving it hard when its not as prized.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Definetly think someone was trying to hide the vin View attachment 37035

There's simply no good - or legal - reason for a previous owner/keeper to do that.

As I advised previously, I recommend trying to get to the bottom of it before you do any work or spend any further money on it. The car may have been stolen and/or part of an insurance fraud in a past 'life'.

Parsean

Club Member
There's simply no good - or legal - reason for a previous owner/keeper to do that.

As I advised previously, I recommend trying to get to the bottom of it before you do any work or spend any further money on it. The car may have been stolen and/or part of an insurance fraud in a past 'life'.
Yeah I'm not too worried really tho, I bought the car as spare and repairs and it's mainly there to get parts for the first one, which is all legit and everything's there for it. The man I got it off said the body was too bad to fix which isn't really true so I didn't plan on keeping it either way. The yellow one is a genuine original Irish car, which I've only seen one other of, and have a lad who believes he actually has the original pictures of it outside the garage it was sold from in 76 so much more interested in that one. For the moment the dodgy one will just sit there for parts.