How to do timing when the cam pin is broken!!

SRRAE

Well-Known Forum User
The location pin which is used to make sure the cas is on the correct way round has broken off :(
This is making putting the CAS on the right way nearly impossible.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get the cas located correctly with this issue?

Stuart

SRRAE

Well-Known Forum User
No no no.
On top of the star, half of it protruded and half of the CAS was blocked off so it would only fit in 1 way. It is the protruding but which has come off.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
No no no.
On top of the star, half of it protruded and half of the CAS was blocked off so it would only fit in 1 way. It is the protruding but which has come off.

If any of the cam drive is missing then the CAS wont locate so you will need another cam

andy

Well-Known Forum User
It IS possible Stuart but its a trial and error job with a timing light - you will need a lot of patience. Get a good bright torch and you will see the scarring on the end of the cam where the spiggot broke off - try and line this up as best you can with how it should be in the CAS, start the car and check it with a timing gun. I had to do this once after someone had snapped theirs off and thought the backfiring sounded cool but couldn't understand why the car was so slow... idiots....

Like I say, it IS possible :)

Cheers,

Andy

Pete, the CAS is driven by the star drive not the locating spiggot ;)

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
It IS possible Stuart but its a trial and error job with a timing light - you will need a lot of patience. Get a good bright torch and you will see the scarring on the end of the cam where the spiggot broke off - try and line this up as best you can with how it should be in the CAS, start the car and check it with a timing gun. I had to do this once after someone had snapped theirs off and thought the backfiring sounded cool but couldn't understand why the car was so slow... idiots....

Like I say, it IS possible :)

Cheers,

Andy

Pete, the CAS is driven by the star drive not the locating spiggot ;)

Oh I know exactly how it all works!!
Or rather in my case how it wont work thanks to some idiot at Newman Cams:smash:

SRRAE

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks. I did try that and it seemed not to work.
I also put the engine at 15º and then turn the cas until cylinder 1 sparked and put in without moving it.
However cylinder 6 is blowing like a thing which blows a lot.