How the 240Z Heater Controls Work.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is anybody else confused by the heater controls and labelling?

Today with my heater out of the car and dismantled I spent a while understanding it all.

I can draw diagrams if anyone is interested but first is there an official diagram that describes it's operation? If so I wont bother.

The whole thing really is a big, heavy 'clunky' bit of kit. In it's day it was very good and compared to uk cars much better.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Personally, I am thinking about changing mine for something more advanced. I agree that the controls (especially their labels) are not that intuitive.

Although I don't understand how the controls mechanical side works, here's a screen shot off of my phone, of the user manual page I found to help.

Martin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200506-221705.png
    Screenshot_20200506-221705.png
    516.1 KB · Views: 67

Wrighty

Club Member
Is anybody else confused by the heater controls and labelling?

Today with my heater out of the car and dismantled I spent a while understanding it all.

I can draw diagrams if anyone is interested but first is there an official diagram that describes it's operation? If so I wont bother.

The whole thing really is a big, heavy 'clunky' bit of kit. In it's day it was very good and compared to uk cars much better.

Wrighty

Club Member
Rob, I’ve just got my 240z back after a rebuild and many years off road. I can’t see to get much in the way of heat out of it but reading your post maybe I don’t understand the controls. I have flushed system through and the water seems to be going through ok but now it’s colder it really doesn’t seem to work very well. Any ideas?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Rob, I’ve just got my 240z back after a rebuild and many years off road. I can’t see to get much in the way of heat out of it but reading your post maybe I don’t understand the controls. I have flushed system through and the water seems to be going through ok but now it’s colder it really doesn’t seem to work very well. Any ideas?
Do you have a thermostat in your cooling system?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
First of all if you hold the pipes going in and out of the heater (at the bulkhead) are they hot?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ok I may be wrong then. When you have the temp lever to hot and the fan on its fastest setting where is the heat going? Is anything coming out?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Controls.

The bottom lever only operates the footwell flaps.
The middle lever only operates the water valve.
The top lever has two functions. To direct air to the heater matrix or fresh air vents. And to allow fresh air in or recirculate cabin air.
20201203_120906.jpg

Wrighty

Club Member
It’s basically just blowing cold air through the vents. Thanks for the explanation re levers too. I think it must be the water valve not opening. Wont get a chance to check until possibly next week but thanks for all help and advice.

Wrighty

Club Member
Have now been able to take it apart and the end had come off the rod controlling the valve so it was set for summer use. Now fixed and we have heat again thank goodness. Thanks for the explanation as to heater controls.