How much power can an S30 take

Tyree

Active Forum User
I’m not really sure at the moment, at least 280 bhp, I’m about to put a 1UZFE motor in, but I want to future proof it in case I decide in future i want to modify the engine

status

Well-Known Forum User
Got a Quaife in mine never had any problems running a 3.1 motor,Now got a 3.2 running over 300 bhp ,once on rolling road will know how much more

Tyree

Active Forum User
Got a Quaife in mine never had any problems running a 3.1 motor,Now got a 3.2 running over 300 bhp ,once on rolling road will know how much more
Perfect thank you - just spoke to Quaife and they do exactly what I need :)

its the spider gears that break isn't it?

There's lots of turbo 510's running r160 lsd's with zero issues, so not really the diff size more the type?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
its the spider gears that break isn't it?

There's lots of turbo 510's running r160 lsd's with zero issues, so not really the diff size more the type?
I think it's the roll pin that locates the spider gears into the open differential that breaks.

in terms of needing an R200, I think Quaife only offer their ATB for R200, not R180.

Last edited:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
...I think Quaife only offer their ATB for R200, not r180.

Hence my question (and which I think you noticed).

I would have thought ratio would be a key point in the decision whether to use the stock (R180) diff or not, especially given the (1UZFE) quoted engine choice.

tyroguru

Club Member
It is, but you can't buy it. "call for availability" compared to "in stock" for the R200 one.

Ah, fair enough. I hope they haven't stopped making them for R180's as I was thinking about that for mine. Probably a long time before that's required though.

Robbie J

Club Member
convert to a Skyline R200 with LSD or might be on the limit but a Subaru STI R180. There are CV options for both out there

johnymd

Club Member
I've been using a quaife in an r200 since 2010. Its held up well with hundreds of drag strip launches and plenty of track/road use. In the early days i was only running 350hp but latter raised that to 480hp 450ft/lb.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
Loads if you're careful and not so much if you're not.
What do you have in mind?

Very true words. As a former axle engineer I could build an axle for a 500hp touring car on 12" slicks and it would last all day but the same axle would snap shafts in a 250hp forest rally car. The most destructive cause is 'JUMPING'. Going up is fine but coming back down causes reverse torque which very destructive. My point is that there are many factors to consider when planning what spec axle to use and simply asking 'what power will it take' is rather over simplifying the situation.

johnymd

Club Member
Reminds me of the time a snapped a chromemoly shaft on the line at Santa pod. First run of the day. An hour earlier on the way to Santa pod I had an airborne moment on a bumpy road there. The tires cheeped on landing. Maybe I should of backed off. Anyway, suspect that weakened the shaft.