How much new

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
On FB there are some proper tools on a Classic and Sportscar post regards that recent comparison between a Z and a 3.0 GXL Capri

I mean I love a Capri, always have but a Z was light years ahead in terms of techy and engineering not to mention the rest.

my point is that the Z is superior whether you prefer a Capri asthetically or not and I believe the Z was not aimed at the Capri market as the price suggested. Probably twice of not more than the Capri.

So how much was a new Z in 1973?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I am sure I read somewhere that in the UK they was expensive but in the USA they was cheap compared to other imported cars.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
October '71 official price in UK was £2,389.37 of which £479.37 was Purchase Tax.

UK price was inflated due to long shipping route and high duty. It wasn't necessarily a case of pitching high in the market.

Compare this with recommended price in USA of around $3,500 (equivalent to around £1,400 with 1971 Dollar to Sterling exchange rate of around 2.5) where pile-em-high-and-sell-em-cheap sales philosophy was paying off. This was only possible because JPY was undervalued at the time. Independent dealers in USA were loading the selling price and making more money per-car than Nissan themselves.

Oct71-DatsunUK-list.jpg