How many Cheshire Plainz members does it take to change an engine?

zedboy

Club Member
The engine on my Z was f#!**d. I love my Z, but I'm not mechanically minded at all, so I'm lucky enough to be good friends with some people that are. After many discussions, texts etc etc and a head gasket and several hours, we came to the decision that the easiest thing to do was to replace my engine, to ensure that I didn't miss Castle Combe etc etc

Mark Raynor found me an engine and gearbox on ebay. I won it!!! Unbelievably cheaply and went to collect the engine. It had come out of a Beauford and looked (fingers crossed) to be a good un! :confused:

Brian Baker, Steve (Becky's Dad) and I spent the Sunday transporting it to Blackpool stripping it, cleaning it up etc etc.

Warby and Raynor had offered to put the engine in for me. 3 weeks later and the engine was transported to Warby's garage. The support from the Cheshire Plainz group was impressive!!!! How many people do you think turned up on the day to give a helping hand or just to show their support????

Warby: Chief mechanic
Mark Raynor: Chief mechanic
Dave Porter: Turned up early in the morning to help take the old engine out.
Brian Baker: Transportation of engine, general help, moral support
Steve: Transport to Blackpool and back to Leeds, Transportation of engine
Me: Generally stood around feeling useless BUT I did learn a thing or two!!!
Richard: Moral support, general help

We had a really good laugh and It was impressive to watch people who really knew what they were doing and made it look so easy! Amazingly, the engine and gearbox, cam, (+ many other bits) was completely replaced in about 7 hours.

When Growler started up, it was brilliant!!! :bow:

A BIG BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE INVOLVED!!! Especially Warby, Raynor and Porter.

I'm picking my Z up on Saturday from Warby's, after having new springs.:S30:

The plan is to put the new tyres on (that I won at Castle Combe last year) and then enjoy the Summer!!!!

See you all soon. Mike

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
What a great example of good team/club spirit.

Well done everybody from the Z Club.

richiep

Club Member
I wish I could've stuck around a bit longer really - I'd have loved to have seen Growler started up after all that effort!

It was very interesting watching Warby and Mark Rayner doing their thing though (especially on the head during the cam swap) and major props to everyone who really got stuck in - it was a quick turnaround! :bow:

It helped inspire me too - I can't wait to get at my car and finally get it finished off (I've now got a deadline too - its provisionally booked into the bodyshop at the beginning of May for final fettling so as to be ready for Tatton Park on May 31st).

Still think it was cheating putting the engine back in and then sending it up on the lifter to pop the gearbox up and in - real men put in the engine and gearbox in one go!!! (see my gallery) ;)

datsun dave

Club Member
Mike i like to think that my role as Project Manager worked out quite well

Well some one had to tell Mr Rayner & Warby what to do LOL

Any pictures ????

zedboy

Club Member
It was a great moment when the Z started up!!!

Having the right tools makes it look so easy! (Plus having friends who know how to use the tools properly!!!) I don't think my ten pound ARGOS socket set was up to the job.

Thanks for coming Richie!

Dave your project management was second to none!

Mr Ex

Inactive
The engine on my Z was f#!**d. I love my Z, but I'm not mechanically minded at all, so I'm lucky enough to be good friends with some people that are. After many discussions, texts etc etc and a head gasket and several hours, we came to the decision that the easiest thing to do was to replace my engine, to ensure that I didn't miss Castle Combe etc etc

Mark Raynor found me an engine and gearbox on ebay. I won it!!! Unbelievably cheaply and went to collect the engine. It had come out of a Beauford and looked (fingers crossed) to be a good un! :confused:

Brian Baker, Steve (Becky's Dad) and I spent the Sunday transporting it to Blackpool stripping it, cleaning it up etc etc.

Warby and Raynor had offered to put the engine in for me. 3 weeks later and the engine was transported to Warby's garage. The support from the Cheshire Plainz group was impressive!!!! How many people do you think turned up on the day to give a helping hand or just to show their support????

Warby: Chief mechanic
Mark Raynor: Chief mechanic
Dave Porter: Turned up early in the morning to help take the old engine out.
Brian Baker: Transportation of engine, general help, moral support
Steve: Transport to Blackpool and back to Leeds, Transportation of engine
Me: Generally stood around feeling useless BUT I did learn a thing or two!!!
Richard: Moral support, general help

We had a really good laugh and It was impressive to watch people who really knew what they were doing and made it look so easy! Amazingly, the engine and gearbox, cam, (+ many other bits) was completely replaced in about 7 hours.

When Growler started up, it was brilliant!!! :bow:

A BIG BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE INVOLVED!!! Especially Warby, Raynor and Porter.

I'm picking my Z up on Saturday from Warby's, after having new springs.:S30:

The plan is to put the new tyres on (that I won at Castle Combe last year) and then enjoy the Summer!!!!

See you all soon. Mike

Talking of which I saw growler on Used car Road Show ITV4 this morning, I missed it before. :bow: