Hoping to get car running soon, any experienced folks here could have a look ?

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Folks

After far too many weeks of waiting I am hoping to get my car - '78 280z, auto - running next week and ready for the road the week after
I was wondering if any of you are near-ish Bradley Stoke and could have a look over the car, give me some pointers and things to look at, etc

Let me know what you think

Huw

Club Member
There’s a few of us about in Bristol. I’m over in Whitchurch. Happy to have a look see. My ZX has the same engine and EFI set up (ish) as the 280Z. I’m sure a few other on here will offer as well.

Jason McIvor

Club Member
There’s a few of us about in Bristol. I’m over in Whitchurch. Happy to have a look see. My ZX has the same engine and EFI set up (ish) as the 280Z. I’m sure a few other on here will offer as well.

Nice one Huw
I appreciate it
When I get her sorted I'll reach out and organise something

Thanks

Farmer42

Club Member
Jason. Happy to help where I can but not really up on fuel injection. I'm in Downend so not far away. Huw and I are at the tuners in Yate on Thursday so could do a detour on the way home if you are around.

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Jason. Happy to help where I can but not really up on fuel injection. I'm in Downend so not far away. Huw and I are at the tuners in Yate on Thursday so could do a detour on the way home if you are around.

Farmer
Superb - indeed, Downend just round the corner indeed

I'm not sure I'll have the car by then but I'll let you know in this conversation when I get her and we can organise something

Thanks a million for the support fellas

Jason McIvor

Club Member

Hey fellas
You mention a tuners in Yate - and I think I saw a photo or two that you sent but I've lost the thread now.
Does this garage do EFI ?
I've got the car home, injectors etc are all working, no misfiring etc but the air flow meter is a bit of a mess and I've taken all the air related items off to clean/fix it but it looks like I'm going to need the help of someone who knows the systems to get it road ready.
I cant drive it too far at the minute (mostly as it is on oversized tyres just for rolling around and rubs like crazy at the back 225/60/15 :( - new tyres coming on Saturday)

Let me know if you have any suggestions
And obvs - if you want to come round and see what I have got you can do so anytime now. I should have the air flow meter back in tomorrow and should be able to turn it over etc

Huw

Club Member
Hi Jason

I don’t think he will be much help, he really is more a carb whisperer and modern EFI expert. The old Jetronic is a bit of a throw back between the two.

Your better off reading the EFI bible and understanding the operation of all the components. There’s not that much to it. If you do have an issue once the AFM is back in, just methodically work through the test procedures. Where I can I will help out.

Best of luck

Huw

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Hi Jason

I don’t think he will be much help, he really is more a carb whisperer and modern EFI expert. The old Jetronic is a bit of a throw back between the two.

Your better off reading the EFI bible and understanding the operation of all the components. There’s not that much to it. If you do have an issue once the AFM is back in, just methodically work through the test procedures. Where I can I will help out.

Best of luck

Huw

Huw

Been studying that Bible last couple of nights ;)
I'm not from a mechanical kind of background so I'm cautious but getting more confident - and your help has been great too

I'll get it all the incoming air related items cleaned/painted and tested/reinstalled today and see what happens

Thanks a million :cheers:

Huw

Club Member
Get a multi meter and get stuck it is the best way. :) If you stick to cleaning up connectors initially your not going to break anything. Got to get to know that EFI system, honestly it’s not as complicated as all the plumbing makes it look.

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Folks
Thought I would let you know
I have had the car running pretty regularly but its still 40% stripped inside - centre console, door cards, etc

In classic "old-car-stuff" I have unearthed some of the obvious "running-in" issues and I need a new radiator, condenser and exhaust - all ordered and being delivered shortly
So a fairly substantial on-the-road delay expected again, hoping to get it all buttoned up by end of March