Honda Wiper Motor

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Video showing how much faster and more powerful the Honda Motor is.

When wet the wipers work very well and do reach the side of the screen . The increased arc is due to the wiper mechanism thinking that it's been asked to park the wipers. The motor runs the opposite way to the Datsun motor i.e. the direction the Datsun motor runs to park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s485bo4a-_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yBYLnhFO9M

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave B

Well-Known Forum User
Excellent! Was it an easy conversion? Heard of it done but not looked in depth yet as that's a long way off lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Guys, I will do a write-up on this when I get time - it's tough being retired!

Being an ex-BT engineer I'm reasonably ok with classic electrics (not so good on modern stuff) and so didn't find that bit difficult however I couldn't get the wipers to park in the right place. I don't know why that is but that's not mentioned anywhere. What I had to do was modify the motor so that the 'post' on the main gear-wheel that operates the park function was in a different place in relation to the linkage position.

tbh the best way forward with this would be to produce 'plug and play' kits. If I can find a supply of motors and a supply of old Datsun mounting plates (or surcharge your's) then it might be a goer. How much would you pay for decent wipers?

I don't know whether most members do much wet weather driving but when I've done it (including a track session at Castle Combe when it was torrential) my wipers have been a major issue. Also the car that I've got is a rally car and I see it as a selling point - together with the uprated alternator I fitted.

Good electrics on these cars are so important to performance and reliability - but not sexy.

Attachments

• 20170711_151824.jpg
    20170711_151824.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20170711_161621.jpg
    20170711_161621.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 38

Dave B

Well-Known Forum User
When the time comes, if there's an off the shelf kit available for a reasonable price I'd deffo be interested, my car is a left hooker tho so, not sure if there's a difference in the motor rotation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toopy

Club Member
Im very rarely out in the wet, but admit the wipers are pretty pants, they work, just a bit on the slow and slightly jerky side!

Thing is on these cars the wiper motor and linkage is highly likely to be the original, so wear and tear and grime wont be helping matters after all these years

Some minor dismantling, cleaning and re-greasing of everything would probably make a noticeable difference, maybe acceptable enough for the likes of those not wet driving that often ;)

Agree though, if something was available off the shelf, bolt on with minimal faffing, then yes i would upgrade mine too :D