Honda Wiper Motor Help

Geoff-R

Club Member
Hi all, tried to do a search on this but I'm not coming back with any definitive answers. I've got a 1974 260z and I've sourced the correct Honda wiper motor but I'm struggling with the wiring. A lot of the write ups seem to cover the conversion of the 240 but not a lot of info is about concerning the 260z. Has anyone done the conversion on a 260? If so what wires go where? I've got 5 wires on the Datsun side and 6 on the Honda side. Wire colours as follows:

Datsun:

Blue/red
Blue/yellow
Yellow
Black (X3)

Honda:

Green/black
Blue/white
Blue/yellow
Blue
Black

I'm not 100% sure if one of the 3 wires on the Datsun side is blue, they're a bit old and possibly discoloured but one of the 3 is a thinner guage wire.

Any help much appreciated as my Datsun motor is knackered.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Here is a start Geoff. It's a diagram I did for myself on my blue car. For 240Z owners yellow wire is late 240 with intermittent.

Attachments

• Datsun - Honda Wiper wiring.jpg
    Datsun - Honda Wiper wiring.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 116

Geoff-R

Club Member
Cheers Rob much appreciated. I may tackle this this weekend, if I do I'll try and take pictures and do a write up. Out of interest in the Datsun motor I have or noted that there were 3 black wires. Without looking at the car are the wires a different colour on the loom side? Logic would say no. Attached are a few pictures of the wires on my motor.

Attachments

• IMG_20170910_190148_01.jpg
    IMG_20170910_190148_01.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20170910_190159.jpg
    IMG_20170910_190159.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Geoff are you sure you have 3 black wires? Have you tried cleaning them?

Anyway I'll get back to you over the weekend.

Geoff-R

Club Member
Quite possible that they're dirty. I'll pick up a relay this morning and go have a look at the motor/car. I'm suspecting they may be dirty or have become discoloured with age. I'll report back.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Geoff I rigged it up to test it all and then made this for the relay and so I could put the old motor back if there was a problem.

My second one would be neater. I'm going to convert my Samuri I think.

Have a look at my other wiper Threads. The only problem you may have is where they park but try it first. I put stiff wire on the spindles instead of the wiper arms, until I sorted it.

Rob.

Attachments

• 20170731_200157.jpg
    20170731_200157.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20170731_201752.jpg
    20170731_201752.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62

Geoff-R

Club Member
I've had a quick look at the service manual and despite there actually being 3 black wires on the wiper side of the plug the service manual gives me something more in line with what your diagram shows Rob as per the attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20170916_170355.jpg
    IMG_20170916_170355.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 46

Geoff-R

Club Member
I've temporarily rigged the wiper motor up but it runs constantly for some reason. I think from memory there may be a seperate relay in the early 260z in the passenger footwell. I can definitely hear a relay knocking on and off in that area. I've attached a video, shouldn't it rotate in both directions? In the video I cycle through the speeds.

https://vimeo.com/234136720

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've temporarily rigged the wiper motor up but it runs constantly for some reason. I think from memory there may be a seperate relay in the early 260z in the passenger footwell. I can definitely hear a relay knocking on and off in that area. I've attached a video, shouldn't it rotate in both directions? In the video I cycle through the speeds.

https://vimeo.com/234136720

That's the same motor as mine. :thumbs:

It only rotates one way which is the opposite way to the Datsun motor under normal circumstances (the Datsun motor reverses during parking anyway). That is not a problem. Constant running is a problem though - don't panic, you must have a wire crossed.

The relay you can hear may be the intermittent circuit - that does keep going even when not on intermittent.

I'll be back tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff-R

Club Member
Good to know it's the same motor! Ah right I'm guessing it will run constantly albeit at a slower to faster speed when in modes 2-3 rather than in the first position. I'm going to have to do some more research then, you could be right with regards to a crossed wire. I'll be honest I'm more surprised it fired up after the first plug in.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Geoff, when you say the motor runs constantly I was assuming you meant you couldn't switch if off but are you meaning it just spins one way? If so that's correct the linkage generates the forward and backwards movement for the wiper arms.

The only issue I had was to get them to park in the right position. I overcame that by moving the parking 'lug' on the big gear wheel. It could be done by altering the slot in the linkage where the motor bolts on.

Anyway good luck.

Geoff-R

Club Member
I probably should have clarified, it runs as you would expect, responds to the input via the stalk so I suppose it all runs as it should then? I'm going to have to mount the motor before I see how it parks, not sure I'll find the time today. Cheers for the tips Rob.

Russell

Club Member
Is there a list anywhere of which motors are correct for this? I assume there are a number of Honda models that use the same design?

Searching google just gives US market options which dont translate well to UK market Hondas.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is there a list anywhere of which motors are correct for this? I assume there are a number of Honda models that use the same design?

Searching google just gives US market options which dont translate well to UK market Hondas.

The one I saw used on US sites and the one I bought from Nigel Brook was designated WM-7228-2S. They appear to have been fitted to a few 1990's small Hondas.

The 2S will refer to the fact that it's two-speed no doubt.

I bought a second off ebay as a spare but I'll fit that to my Samuri I think. There are no ebay finds in the UK today (just looked). Be cautious of corroded ones i.e. those that look like they have been in a scrap yard for years and subjected to the elements. On my spare motor one of the 3 mounting bolts was 'stuck' and it sheared off so I had to drill that out!

This is one located in Germany. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scheibenw...922147?hash=item5b1667c063:g:IDIAAOSwPcVVwj5D

So for anyone wanting to do this mod source a good clean motor and I'll take you through it from there. There is info. on US sites and that's where I got the idea from - whilst looking at other wiper issues. However they didn't cover the parking position problem I had - I'll be interested to see if anyone else has the same issue (think they will). This is fairly straightforward and of course it's good to know it has been done and works before you start. However it will take a bit of work and thought.

Pic of mine 'mounted'.

Attachments

• IMG_5467.JPG
    IMG_5467.JPG
    544.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5469.JPG
    IMG_5469.JPG
    622.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5466.JPG
    IMG_5466.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator: