High Oil Pressure

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Something to quiz those in the know about.

While out over the weekend in the Z I've noticed that the oil pressure gauge is reading quite high between 2/3 to 3/4 while on the throttle (a lot of motorway cruising). As soon as I stop at the junction or anywhere just idling it drops back down to well under the half way mark.

I've got no idea how accurate the gauge is or not however its got me somewhat concerned.... :confused: I checked the oil level when I got back this evening at it was at the usual point on the dipstick and levels seem fine.

Anyone got any advice or ideas as to what could be going on?

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Oil pressure and oil level do not necessary equate
I would expect a reasonably healthy engine to have higher oil pressure at high engine rims than at tickover

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Woody, mine does this. I go from between a third to a half at idle to three quarters on power. When I got the car I was worried about this and researched a lot - turns out to be a very common trait.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Yes Woody, very common.
These old gauges will read all over the place as well.
Good time to install a mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauge under the dash somewhere, then you alway have an accurate reading.

IeLLF9x.jpg
[/IMG]

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks guys, this is really reassuring! :thumbs: I'll just crack on in that case as it seemed to be running fine, my mind had too long to ponder over it on a two hour drive home. Hopefully it'll run just as well down to Goodwood this weekend.

I know they can be temperamental however after my Amp gauge gave away my voltage regulator dieing in France and reads spot on. Also my temp gauge sits at 2/3 by default, I didn't want to leave it when it could have been screaming with an issue and I'd been staring it in its face. Being my first classic I'm still getting used to the whole checking everything rather than just turn a key and go everywhere.

Yes Woody, very common.
These old gauges will read all over the place as well.
Good time to install a mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauge under the dash somewhere, then you alway have an accurate reading.

Great idea Mike, what sort of gauges re those you have fitted? (they look nice and discrete and don't stick out) Would replacing the OEM sensor help at all either?

SacCyclone

Club Member
They are mechanical "AutoMeter" gauges but any quality gauge will work. I just liked these because they are discrete, still match the look of the interior, but will give me an accurate reading of what is going on in the engine.
I left the OEM gauges connected and functioning. Just tee-off the oil pressure sending unit etc.

Mike

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
They are mechanical "AutoMeter" gauges but any quality gauge will work. I just liked these because they are discrete, still match the look of the interior, but will give me an accurate reading of what is going on in the engine.
I left the OEM gauges connected and functioning. Just tee-off the oil pressure sending unit etc.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, I know what you mean they look great. Really neatly hidden away and look almost OEM :thumbs: