HIDs

Russ

Club Member
Hello!

I'm kinda back, looking at a new job so I can then put the Z back on the road :)

I was just wondering if anyone knew about converting a 300 to HIDs using the 99 spec setup?

I believe aftermarket kits are now illegal so when I come to MOT again I'll have to remove mine and somehow put the old lights back ... hmmm

Is the 300zx part of the club here these days?

CheerZ

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome back Nipper
99 spec lights in HID from are around £1K
Your HID kit will be fine for an MOT as the lights in your currrent car were made to take them..
PM me to catch up when you get a minute.

M

madmarco

Always depends on where you go for your MOT, that's why I have a long relationship with the local garage. Never had a problem with any mods being challenged.
And yes Russ, the 300zx is still very much part of the Zclub.

tel240z

Club Member
Always depends on where you go for your MOT, that's why I have a long relationship with the local garage. Never had a problem with any mods being challenged.
And yes Russ, the 300zx is still very much part of the Zclub.

Ah yes that may be so untill theres an incident on the road and the vosa investigation man will even glue the fragments of a headlamp glass back together just to make sure it had the right beam patern, ie not a left hand drive unit fitted to r/hand drive car :eek:

Russ

Club Member
Cool, thanks.

After virtual shopping last night I bumped into this

'99 JDM HID Headlight Assemblies (pair)

and you can see the HID box is built in underneath the light and it's just a plug and play setup.

I figured with the proper setup I'd be legal as it came like that from manufacture, whereas if you lift my bonnet you can clearly see they are aftermarket at the moment. I can't see they can retrospectively ban HIDs on cars which didn't self level with washers so mine would just be a 99 spec.

Anyway nice to be back, lots more things to do (new clutch!) before I worry about those.

CheerZ