Hi from UK

Igga777

New Forum User
I do not own a Datsun at the moment but am hoping to change that in the next few years.
I currently own a Triumph Spitfire Mk3 which needs rebuilding totally but rather than spending many years rebuilding this car (I have had this in my garage for many years without making a start on it), I got the idea of buying a car that I have really liked for years but that would actually be working and ready to enjoy.
I really would love a 240z but would probably end up with a 260z. I thought I would join a forum so that I could get a better idea of the cars, what sort of car I am likely to be able to afford, what to look for and what to avoid.
I want a rhd car with a budget of around 15k but wont be in a position to buy for a few years yet. I had looked at the price guide in practical classics which said that a condition 1 car was around 10k but looking around it seems people are asking much more ar the moment.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Nigel

uk66fastback

Club Member
Welcome Nigel ...

If you find any at that price, you'll do well. RHD cars are rare as - all flavours etc. And that commands a premium. A year or two ago you might have been able to get something half decent for that money ... I've not seen anything at that price for a bit.

That said, some of the prices being asked for cars on ebay - some left hookers is far too high imo. You can usually tell which ones, as they are the ones that stick around. Good cars, at a decent price, LHD or RHD, won't last long ... interested to see some pics of the Spit - esp as it's a MkIII - I like the shape of those - I had a Mark IV 20 years ago, but the III is my favourite.

Has your Z GOT to be RHD?

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I reckon for £15,000 you should get yourself a pretty decent, though not perfect, RHD two-seater 260Z. The 240s tend to fetch more than that. A good LHD will be cheaper but they have been going up in price a lot recently. Also consider a 280Z. These will all be LHD but have a fuel-injected engine and are the same basic shape as the 240/260 and are usually cheaper to buy. I have a 260 and actually prefer it to the 240. They look virtually identical but the 260 has a better interior and (in my opinion) rides better on the road. However I would advise swapping the original carbs in the 260 to some from a 240 as this makes a big difference to the way the car performs in my experience. Bodywork is the big thing to check - the oily bits can usually be sorted! Good luck with your hunt.

Igga777

New Forum User
Thanks for your replies. I have had a better look at what is available and will probably end up with a LHD. I think I would prefer a half decent LHD to a rusty RHD. Not too sure about the 280Z's though. I think they lost something in the styling from the earlier cars. Looks like these cars can be upgraded massively looking at some websites. Think I would keep it pretty original. Did think of importing direct from abroad but wasn't sure of fees that you pay when importing. My brother lives in Canada so I may have a look around when I visit next year. Have seen some nice LHD cars but dread to think what the prices would be in a couple of years.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Not too sure about the 280Z's though. I think they lost something in the styling from the earlier cars.
Don't confuse the 280Z with the 280ZX as the 280Z is the same basic shape as the 240/260 and the 280ZX is completely different design and shape

status

Well-Known Forum User
As you ain't got the dosh yet best advice is to keep saving yer pennies and read up on the Zeds and go to a few meets