Help...You ITB gurus

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
What fuel pump system are you running?

I am STILL having major issues and wondered if you run a twin pump system will swirlpot etc etc

ben240z

Club Member
Redtop facet low pressure feeding a bosch 044 high pressure pump with a swirl pot in between. Return from the fuel rail goes into the tank.
Could possibly run without the low pressure but do not want to risk the high pressure running dry

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
OK Thanks Ben

I'm running a 044 i=at the back just by the tank but as it warms you can hear it whining and pitch goes up and down even on tick over like it's struggling to pick fuel up and the pressure goes from 50 down as low as 25.

Doesn't make any sense. Where are your 2 pumps situated and the pot under the bonnet or in the tank?

ben240z

Club Member
I run a small 10ltr tank in the boot area. The low pressure pump is next to the tank. I have the swirl pot and bosch pump in the back but that is because it suits my application. I would have thought that you could have the swirl pot and bosch pump in the front if needs be as the low pressure pump will keep it fed

ben240z

Club Member
I run a similar set up on the mgf but without the low pressure pump or swirl pot. But the engine is less demanding

johnymd

Club Member
I run exactly the same as ben. The pitch on my 044 used to change on tickover but that was purely down to volt drop. I've run bigger cables to the pump and fed it via a relay with a better power source. I still get it a little if I put the fans and lights on but not much. Can you monitor the fuel pressure. Put either a gauge or a sensor on you fuel rail to see what's going on. Not sure what ECU your using but I'm guessing most have data logging so with a sensor you can fead the signal to the ECU to monitor what's going on.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I've tried running cables etc

pressure up and down on the gauge

I've discovered that I need the arrangement as detailed above. I brimmed the tank earlier and theres no issue. Obviously the pump doesn't like to draw as discussed

johnymd

Club Member
You can feed the 044 with a lift pump. The 044 must be lower then tank, or in my case swirl pot. I have a large pipe out the bottom of the swirl pot that goes straight into a filter then straight into the 044.

johnymd

Club Member
That will require quite a bit of work to get that in a 280z fuel tank Terry. I'm guessing he's looking for the simplest solution. If its the tank that's causing the problem then run a swirl pot and small lift pump like the rest of us. Its not a great deal of work and you can run the main tank nearly empty. If you use a red top lift pump it will become noisy as the tank is nearly empty and you will still have a few miles of fuel in the swirl pot to get you to the petrol station.