Help! Rear brake cylinder required

andrew muir

Club Member
Anyone have a new or good rear RH brake cylinder or know where I can get one? As my cylinder has just blown its seals and I need one quick or the car won't be going to LeMans:(
Or does anyone know of an alternative part etc, eg from a Laurel or any other car which will work??

Car has standard 260z drum brakes.

Cheers
Andrew Muir:thumbs:

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
take the old one off and take it into a local motor factors they should be able to match it up from its size and part reference numbers.
ive done this in the past and you would be surprised how many generic parts there are out there.

andrew muir

Club Member
After a bit of research looks like I have the later 7/8 inch twin piston types from late 77 models 280z etc. It has 204 cast on the bottom which sugests it is the later type also looks like the late one.:unsure:

Mr.F

Inactive
There are only two types of rear wheel cylinder fitted to Zs. Early version is single piston with handbrake adjustment lever integral; other is later twin ended piston with no handbrake adjustment parts attached.
August 1976 is the break point between the systems.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I've just rebuilt the rear brakes on my late 260z, same type as yours, with the 7/8" twin piston cylinders. I spent a whole evening comparing parts numbers and found these on ebay for only £22/pair. See link here. I also found brake shoes readily available from Brakes International in Rochdale, again only £20.
Shoe retaining pins, springs and caps also off Brakes international (they're for a Sierra with same size/width drums)

Hope its not too late for the rebuild!