Help, I'm new...

burgandypug

New Forum User
Hello,

I have had my 280Z for 13 yrs. now. It was pristine when my father gave it to me as a graduation present. Unfortunately, 10 years ago, I let someone that doesnt know anything about Z cars work on it to get it ready for a big trip. He said he worked on Z cars before...He lied. My boyfriend (current husband) tried to "fix" it. Long story short, it is sitting at my in-laws in a complete shambles. Everything has been taken out from under the hood, the carpet ripped out and the paint job ruined as it sits and collects rust, mold and mildew. If I were asked if I have any regrets in life so far, it would be letting someone else touch my Z car.
My husband has recently declared that he is not going to fix the car and he wants to sell it. The only thing protecting it is the title has never been changed out of my father's name. Yeah! I have declared that I dont need his help and I am going to fix that car by myself.
So, does anyone know any really good books on completely restoring a 1978 Datsun 280Z? I dont even know where to start. I tried this site first because I remember having a business card from ZClub.net left on my windshield 11 years ago. It only took me 11 years to check out the site...not to shabby huh?

Thanks in advance,
burgandypug

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Being from the US can you clarify that it's either a 280Z or a 280ZX (in the rest of the world we didn't get the 280Z, not that means we don't know the way around it. It was just a bigger engine, not a different car from the 240/260). The Haynes Manuals for either are available and could help you with most things you'd ever need to know (and are written in proper plain English so easy to follow).

Click here to check them out

Oh, and welcome back! As long as Z's exist, so will we.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Hi If it is a 280z then there is a book by Wick Humble How To Restore Your Datsun Z Car covers 240z/260z/280z. Hope this helps.

BRONZEE

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome to the forum. Great to hear you're seriously trying to save that 280. It really makes you sad when you hear of mechanics that have worked on them, causing damage due to lack of knowledge. Anyway all behind you. Onwards and upwards to a working Z! ;)

Also check in at http://www.zchickz.com, the forum is owned and run by female Z enthusiasts, great little forum.

Lets Drift

Well-Known Forum User
Firstly a big welcome to you :D

What ever you do don't let that husband get his hands on it it's not his to touch.

So so sorry to hear some idot got his hands on it and now it's in need of a lot of tender loving car.

All the best in restoring it to it's forma glory some hard work and you'll have a car to be proud of and it's also one in the eye for your husband.

Go girl never let any man tell you you cann't do it. From one woman to another some men are just jealous of what we can achieve with a car, and don't like the idea that we can own, work and drive a nice car