Help! - Identifying 260Z Rear Brake Backing Plates

Cable

Forum User
Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys could help, please?

I'm currently rebuilding the rear brakes/hub/bearings etc, however, I struggling to identify which of the rear brake drum backing plates are for which side. I did take pics of the assembly, prior to dismantling, but the images seem to be lacking the key points for the plates (bracket/slot for brake cylinder).IMG_20210826_173433~2.jpg

I've attached a pic of one of the hubs (RH) and both of the backing plates.

Cheers!

Neil

zbloke

Club Member
I'm 99.9% sure that the backplate on the right in your picture is the RH backplate

The longer narrow slot being for the handbrake lever to go through

arcdef

Club Member
I will possibly be removing my drums to paint them (covered in rust) so can check tomorrow if you are not in a rush.

Cable

Forum User
I will possibly be removing my drums to paint them (covered in rust) so can check tomorrow if you are not in a rush.

That would be great, thanks.

I suppose the small bracket, on the rear of the backing plate, would be visible externally. Whether this is orientated towards the front or the rear of the car should highlight which side is which.

IMG_20210827_183232.jpg

Thanks for you help so far, guys!

Neil

Fairlineguy

Club Member
That would be great, thanks.

I suppose the small bracket, on the rear of the backing plate, would be visible externally. Whether this is orientated towards the front or the rear of the car should highlight which side is which.

View attachment 46736

Thanks for you help so far, guys!

Neil

The one pictured on the right is the right hand one so is the one with the bracket on the back

Cable

Forum User
Okay, all back together now, just got to get hold of a bigger torque wrench, to torque up the pinion nut.

Thank you all for your help!

IMG_20210828_151210.jpg IMG_20210828_155734.jpg

Neil