Help and advice

darryl beckwith

Forum User
Hi I am new to this forum and am looking to buy a 240 260 or 280 I have a couple of questions

if I was to buy a LHD car what’s involved in converting it to RHD

I have seen a company in Munich selling some Z does anyone know anything about them

what are spares like to get hold of

any other advice would be welcome

Kind regards

Darryl

uk66fastback

Club Member
You could do a search of the forum and answer all those questions but to give you a bit of a guide (there are far more Z-knowledgeable people on this forum than me who can fill in the gaps) ...
You need all the parts off a RHD car obviously - but I think you can buy a new remanufactured RHD bulkhead and put that in ... then you need the expertise to do it. But why not either BUY a RHD one (easier) or keep it LHD?
I don't know who the firm is in Munich - others might.
Some spares are easy - some are hard - some are nigh-impossible - depends what the item required is. Body panels are better now than they have ever been.

As always, it's down to budget - get the best car you can (rust-wise) for your money - RHD or LHD.

darryl beckwith

Forum User
You could do a search of the forum and answer all those questions but to give you a bit of a guide (there are far more Z-knowledgeable people on this forum than me who can fill in the gaps) ...
You need all the parts off a RHD car obviously - but I think you can buy a new remanufactured RHD bulkhead and put that in ... then you need the expertise to do it. But why not either BUY a RHD one (easier) or keep it LHD?
I don't know who the firm is in Munich - others might.
Some spares are easy - some are hard - some are nigh-impossible - depends what the item required is. Body panels are better now than they have ever been.

As always, it's down to budget - get the best car you can (rust-wise) for your money - RHD or LHD.
Thanks for that I want to buy the right car lhd or rhd but don’t like driving lhd cars so would all most certainly do a conversion if I got a lhd

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
An RHD conversion is a big job and parts are scarce.

How about joining the Club as a 'Z Club Member' (Jonbills is the Membership Sec), putting your E Type in the Classified section and asking for a Z swap/part ex for a RHD car?

richiep

Club Member
Looks great And fantastic colour but wrong engine I really want a relatively Standard one there are 3 for Sale in Munich I may go there for a weekend to have a look my wife is German which will make communication ok
Welcome. As others have said, start browsing the forum and learning as much as you can.

As for the 432... most definitely not the wrong engine - many of us would give internal organs for a factory DOHC S20-engined car. The Japanese market Nissan Fairlady Z432 from that thread is probably the most sought after, valuable S30Z variant (with the exception of the even-more limited race-focussed Fairlady Z432R version).

RHD conversions are complex exercises; thankfully reproduction RHD bulkheads and associated sheet metal parts are available in the UK, which makes a big difference, but more challenging is hunting down the RHD parts to complete it, i.e. pedal box, heater and blower, various other bits. They can be had but are getting more pricey.

Given the cars you are planning to sell, your best option is to seek a good, restored RHD UK or previously-LHD converted car. Getting one LHD and then converting is not something for the newly initiated IMO. It's something you do to a project car, not something that starts out nice, given the degree of surgery involved.

Also worth noting that a US import car in standard form is dumbed down versus UK or European spec cars (4-speed, lazy diff, soft suspension, etc.).

darryl beckwith

Forum User
Welcome. As others have said, start browsing the forum and learning as much as you can.

As for the 432... most definitely not the wrong engine - many of us would give internal organs for a factory DOHC S20-engined car. The Japanese market Nissan Fairlady Z432 from that thread is probably the most sought after, valuable S30Z variant (with the exception of the even-more limited race-focussed Fairlady Z432R version).

RHD conversions are complex exercises; thankfully reproduction RHD bulkheads and associated sheet metal parts are available in the UK, which makes a big difference, but more challenging is hunting down the RHD parts to complete it, i.e. pedal box, heater and blower, various other bits. They can be had but are getting more pricey.

Given the cars you are planning to sell, your best option is to seek a good, restored RHD UK or previously-LHD converted car. Getting one LHD and t

Given the cars you are planning to sell, your best option is to seek a good, restored RHD UK or previously-LHD converted car. Getting one LHD and then converting is not something for the newly initiated IMO. It's something you do to a project car, not something that starts out nice, given the degree of surgery involved.

Also worth noting that a US import car in standard form is dumbed down versus UK or European spec cars (4-speed, lazy diff, soft suspension, etc.).

hen converting is not something for the newly initiated IMO. It's something you do to a project car, not something that starts out nice, given the degree of surgery involved.

i read the report on 432 fantastic may be a bit out of my price range. And thanks for the info on the conversion I think I will look for Good rhd car as I don’t really want a lhd

status

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah don’t rush and you should have some change from the e type sale,I’ll be selling mine don’t know when but it’s not standard so not sure wot yer budget is and wot sort of Z your looking for,look at a few 240 s 260 s as they vary ie interior, clocks etc

darryl beckwith

Forum User
Yeah don’t rush and you should have some change from the e type sale,I’ll be selling mine don’t know when but it’s not standard so not sure wot yer budget is and wot sort of Z your looking for,look at a few 240 s 260 s as they vary ie interior, clocks etc
Depends how modified it’s is. And my budget it 45k max for a car that needs no work

richiep

Club Member
Depends how modified it’s is. And my budget it 45k max for a car that needs no work
Up to that budget should allow you to get a nice, previously restored 240Z to drive away and enjoy. There are two examples on eBay at the moment in that sort of price bracket, one a UK RHD:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294536731949?hash=item4493c1dd2d:g:ivIAAOSwtKxhi6bK

That one would certainly be worth a look IMO, clearly having undergone a thorough restoration, with pictures documenting some of the process. It seems to be standard UK spec by all appearances, other than the slot mag wheels - which may as well be considered standard given pretty much every Z in the 70s seemed to get a set before they had a chance to roll off the UK forecourts with their factory steelies!

darryl beckwith

Forum User
Up to that budget should allow you to get a nice, previously restored 240Z to drive away and enjoy. There are two examples on eBay at the moment in that sort of price bracket, one a UK RHD:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294536731949?hash=item4493c1dd2d:g:ivIAAOSwtKxhi6bK

That one would certainly be worth a look IMO, clearly having undergone a thorough restoration, with pictures documenting some of the process. It seems to be standard UK spec by all appearances, other than the slot mag wheels - which may as well be considered standard given pretty much every Z in the 70s seemed to get a set before they had a chance to roll off the UK forecourts with their factory steelies!
Yes I phoned about that one Today but no answer I will call again tomorrow there is also a red samari for sale in Norfolk I phoned and spoke to a lady but she said they had family issue so I did not push it

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes I phoned about that one Today but no answer I will call again tomorrow there is also a red samari for sale in Norfolk I phoned and spoke to a lady but she said they had family issue so I did not push it

I think I know the red one, if so the owner died recently.

status

Well-Known Forum User
That white car looks like the car I was sniffing around last year,owner was up Ipswich way and it went for about 30 k might’ve been bought by present owner to flip,not 100% but looks familiar

status

Well-Known Forum User
Look at a few before you commit,welcome to come have a look at mine ,can get it up in the air for a proper look

darryl beckwith

Forum User
That white car looks like the car I was sniffing around last year,owner was up Ipswich way and it went for about 30 k might’ve been bought by present owner to flip,not 100% but looks familiar
You're spot on I have spoke to the owner and thats where he got it from good to know what he paid for it thanks for that