heatshields for triples

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Good morning -
I've bought a sheet of aluminium to make myself a heat shield to go between my Dellortos and the exhaust manifold.

I've seen a design where the shield mounts between the carbs and inlet manifold, and I've seen one where it mounts between the head and the inlet manifold.
I've seen ones that go down to the chassis rail and completely seal off the exhaust, and I've seen ones that are just diddy trays under each carb.

Before I start cutting - can you guys tell me what you've got? what works and what doesn't? do you have any pictures?

thanks!

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've never had triples so can't comment from experience.

Could you make something that attaches with 'Jubilee' clips to the No1 and No6 primary pipes? Then you can fit/remove it without dismantling lots.

Also perhaps try and make it big so that if fuel leaks from the carbs it runs off the shield and onto the ground not an exhaust pipe. These cars do set on fire when fitted with triples - I've seen it and know of one last year too. Do you have an airfilter box to prevent spitting back onto the manifold.

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
Not great for visual appeal but stainless steel foil(various thicknesses, annealed or hard) works well,used in past,mould or drape as a blanket.Plus lower thermal conductivity with stainless.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks for the input everyone.

I decided to go with BIG - Here's a pic of where I've got to.
Looks like it should work - although maybe the close proximity to the exhaust at the top there might distort it. Time will tell.

Also not yet sure if I'm going to try to attach at the frame rail or fold it back up a bit.

heatshield.JPG

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Another route would be a Zircotec job. I think it's called Zircotec anyway, they're based in Abingdon down the road from Oxford. They do heat proofing for some F1 teams too.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks - Zircotec looks interesting. No indication of prices on their website - any idea what it costs to coat a manifold?

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
I don't know about prices either but their product has to be top notch if they deal with F1 I guess. I'm sure their prices vary depending on the customer. :lol:

datsun dave

Club Member
Another route would be a Zircotec job. I think it's called Zircotec anyway, they're based in Abingdon down the road from Oxford. They do heat proofing for some F1 teams too.

I had both my RB26 manifolds and down pipe done by Camcoat based in Warrington Cheshire 01925 445003

Richard Parker has also had a few bit also done by them and it is not cheep !!!.

richiep

Club Member
Totally recommend Camcoat - their Cermakrome ceramic coating is excellent. The Fujitsubo exhaust manifold on my car was coated with that. Retains the polished stainless look but reduces heat significantly.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks guys.
Richie - can I ask how much the coating cost?
Vipergts - that looks quite like what I'm doing - how does it attach? it looks like it attaches at the head like mine.

richiep

Club Member
As Dave said, not especially cheap! When I had the manifold done in 2012 it cost £350. That was for the triple layer coating (inside and out, plus Cermakrome aluminized polished finish). But its good stuff. I had the previous MSA manifold done by them too (although back in 2006 it cost 100 quid less!).

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Ouch. My heat soak problem isn't £350 worth :)
I think this time round, I'll just get some ceramic matting stuff and stick it to my aluminium plate and see how I get on.

Ta

z-spec

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks - Zircotec looks interesting. No indication of prices on their website - any idea what it costs to coat a manifold?

i have done my manifold treated by zircotec , cost 650gbp including 2into1 , , its done fantastic and including sending up and down from the Netherlands ready in two weeks time .