Heater problems

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
So whilst my cars blower works just fine, and the cold air via the AC is cold, on the hot settings I still get cool air. I've had a look in the fuse boxes but can't see any that need replacing - what else should I be looking for to diagnose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Is the coolant system plumbed into the cabin inlets? I think it's pretty common to bypass the heater because the valves can leak.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Assuming its the stock system then check the temperature of the pipes running through the firewall into the cabin by touching them once up to temperature. If only one is warm and the heater valve is definitely open then your heater core could well be blocked.

This happened to us and after flushing it completely failed we had to get the unit refurbed which was when we discovered how much corrosion and gunk was really in there!

What AC are you running out of curiosity?

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
Assuming its the stock system then check the temperature of the pipes running through the firewall into the cabin by touching them once up to temperature. If only one is warm and the heater valve is definitely open then your heater core could well be blocked.

This happened to us and after flushing it completely failed we had to get the unit refurbed which was when we discovered how much corrosion and gunk was really in there!

What AC are you running out of curiosity?

Thanks, I need to take a look at it at the weekend when I can get some bits off the car. But that gives me some great places to start!

On the AC, it's the stock 280 factory AC. Still blowing cold, although I have no idea where I'll get it re-gassed if I need to...

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks, I need to take a look at it at the weekend when I can get some bits off the car. But that gives me some great places to start!

On the AC, it's the stock 280 factory AC. Still blowing cold, although I have no idea where I'll get it re-gassed if I need to...

No worries, give me a shout if you want as I've got reasonably familiar with the system with the recent refurb :)

Great to hear, I'd love to have ours operation and have all the OEM kit but don't really know where to start or fully understand how the system operates with no condenser. Doubt there's many people around with an understanding of the system!

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
Well, if you want any pictures of the system and where it runs I'm happy to share, but I don't know how it works or what the main components are. It looks nothing like the AC in any of the other cars...

Thanks for that mate. I might have to tap you up for that knowledge. I'm hoping that by stripping the front panel in the dash out I can access everything that I need to

Mutey

Club Member
I'm going to say its safe to assume your aircon is still on R12 (because of the age etc) You can get it changed to r134a which is the replacement but you'd have to completely de-gas it, drain the oil from the system, change the drier/filter etc then you can put the new synthetic oil in and re-gas it. You'd want a refrigeration/transport engineer to do that as you'd struggle to find a garage that'll do it (legally that is)

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well, if you want any pictures of the system and where it runs I'm happy to share, but I don't know how it works or what the main components are. It looks nothing like the AC in any of the other cars...

Thanks for that mate. I might have to tap you up for that knowledge. I'm hoping that by stripping the front panel in the dash out I can access everything that I need to

If your offering I'd be curious to see the components of the system and where the pipework runs. Haha I can sympathize with that it was obviously very primitive by modern standards.

No worries we ended up removing ours with the dash in situ however it was a Pita. If its not rusted shut and you can remove your control panel then in theory you should be able to remove the side access panel to gain access to the core while leaving the shell in place however I personally couldn't do this. HTH

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
I'll take some pics at the weekend and send your way.

Yeah I'm hoping I can fix it...