Heater Core

domtheboyo

Forum User
Hi,

Has anyone successfully replaced their Heater Core by themselves? I have followed the instructions from the Aussie site but ended up removing the dash to 'do the job properly!' However, I'm so far in I'm starting to panic just in case I can't put it all back together again!! My question is, do I remove the centre vents that contain the core or do I remove it via the footwell? If so, I would like to remove the entire matrix inc pipes as the new one from Nissan includes all of this. The instructions on the Aussie site say to remove the pipes from the core but on the new one these are sealed well and I don not want to break the seal and cause a new leak (and the replacement cost me £185). Any advise would be appreciated, or, if there is anyone here that lives near me in South Wales who could give me a helping hand??

Thanks,

Dom

Mr.F

Inactive
I've done this job successfully a couple of times by removing the dashboard. I've seen the instructions on doing the job with the dashboard in and have to say, like yourself, I disagree with removing Nissan installed new pipes on the matrix just to do the job and also the fact that access to the retaining screw is very limited (read "blind"). Also, I didn't fancy spending half the day on my head in the driver's footwell. It might take longer removing the whole thing, but it is a darn sight more comfortable.

Having removed the dashboard and pretty much all the visible vents and the crossmember, you can then remove the whole heater assembly. Remove all the screws under the units from right to left so that the air-con unit is loosened. The hardest part is then pulling the heater unit and matrix pipes into the car to ease it away from the air-con and free it into the car - persevere, it can be done! Remove the control unit from the side of the heater unit to access and slide out the old matrix. There is a little spring on the control cable that is easy to forget on reassembly.

Putting it all back is easier than taking it out - just be methodical and keep checking that you haven't forgotten to put something back that will cause you grief later. Doing it this way also lets you check for botched work behind the dashboard from previous removals - you can tidy up extra wiring, remove disabled alarms, replace missing screws and clips and mend the broken bits on the dashboard.

domtheboyo

Forum User
Mike,

Thanks for the advise. I will continue on tomorrow.
P.S. If I go the whole hog, cross-member etc, does this mean I do not need to unscrew that 'hidden' screw at the firewall from the back of the engine?

domtheboyo

Forum User
All finished. Removed EVERYTHING and removed the entire heater core assembly. Replaced heater core and put it all back together.....and guess what? Everything works!

I am proof that you do not need to spend up to a £1000 for Nissan to do the job. I have spent less than £200 and did it all myself. I am not even a mechanic and don't know a thing about cars but I must say, I put every screw back in its rightful place and didn't snap any plastic......phew!

I know more about my 300zx today than I have ever known about any car. enjoyed the whole job!

Mr.F

Inactive
Congratulations! Sorry not to get back with a reply on the hidden screw question in time, but I guess you know now that part of the advantage of doing it this way is that you don't have to struggle with this aspect of the job.

A small recommendation if you haven't done it already - use some form of electrolytic inhibitor in the antifreeze mix to prolong the time before you have to do the job again! I use Millers RadHib on every Z32 now - their tech spec suggests that it will prevent the internal corrosion that seems to cause Z32 matrix failure in the first place. And never be tempted to run the car without a good strong antifreeze mix.