Headlamps and flasher

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Can anyone help me here?

Sometimes when I switch the headlamps on they come on, and sometimes they don't for about two minutes, then suddenly burst into life.

It is like the car has to warm up a little before they will work. I leave the switch in the 'on' position, nothing happens and then (without me touching the switch) they will suddenly come on. Once on, they work fine without any flickering on and off etc

Also, the flasher button on the end of the steering column stalk sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. One day I will get into the car and it works perfectly, the next day it won't.

I've checked out the fusebox and waggled the fuses about but this has not helped.

I suspect a relay is worn or faulty, but where are the bloody relays located? And how do I know which relay (should I ever find them) works what?

Any advice anyone?

Dale

Club Member
For the headlights, it might well be the switch itself, which is quite a common issue. A clean of the contacts should sort it out.

Wyn

Club Member
Check the fusible links under the bonnet
One is for the headlights so could have a poor connection

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I'd change the fuses anyway. Some of mine looked fine but they were actually knackered inside

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I had the headlight problem and it was the switch. Flasher was column earth.

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
there is no relay... that is the weakness

the inverter switch between "high/low beams" is often burned

I also bet on it

Attachments

• 06052012907.jpg
    06052012907.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 06052012913.jpg
    06052012913.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 44

Dale

Club Member
My indicators burned out in the same way. I indicate as late as I can now. If I sit at some traffic lights with the indicators on, smoke starts coming from the switches! :eek:

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Check the fusible links under the bonnet
One is for the headlights so could have a poor connection

I'm not technically minded. Where would I find those?

And thanks to all those who have offered suggestions - particularly Dale for the photos. Appreciated.

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
Pretty sure it's the switch. There is a relay conversion (somewhere on here) which takes the load off the switch and also gives full voltage to the lights. Well worth doing as switches are no longer available new

Wyn

Club Member
Fusible links under the bonnet, drivers side mounted in two little plastic boxes
(just infront of the brake master cylinder)
Looks just like a piece of random wire

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Are you sure there is not a relay? When I operate my flash (pass) button I hear a relay click.

Also, I find if I have used the main switch and left it on, even with lights off, the pass button does not work, so, make sure your main switch stalk is pushed back / operated again to 'release' the main lights.

Make sense?

Steve

johnymd

Club Member
To sum up(although nothing new to add):

There are no relays for the headlights and all the load goes thread the main stalk on the left hand side of the stearing wheel. This is usually the problem area.

There is a relay for the flasher.

The fuse able links are worth checking along with the connection to the fuses.

The relay conversion is easy to do and we'll worth the effort as it takes the load off the problematic 30+ year old switches and will improve the headlamp brightness as it removes the potentially high resistance parts of the circuit.

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
I have similar problems on my high and low beam, are any replacement parts still available ?, so I can replace my fault items.

Thanks !