Head Light re-wiring problem

toopy

Club Member
So, finally got round to replacing my headlights with new items, renewing the wiring at the same time.

According to the wiring diagrams i have, there should be a Red and a Red/Yellow from the fuse box for the live feeds to Left and Right lights.. CHECK

Red/White wire and Red/Black as the switched earth's for main and high beam.. CHECK

Red/White wire and Red/Black are now disconnected at the lights, so as these are the switched earths back to the light switch,
they should remain dead?!

Turn on the lights, position 1, side lights ok, position 2 Red and Red/Yellow now live, which you would expect, but the Red/White is as well :confused:
seeing as its not connected at the lights anymore.... how come?

Use the stalk to put the High beam on, and the Red/White wire go's dead, Red remains live but volts drop slightly to 12v (normally 12.4v)
Red/Black remains dead, as you would expect, as its disconnected at the lights, assuming though, that it should actually be showing 12v if it was still connected to the lights.

It was going so well, then i thought i would check the old wiring, before wiring/connecting up the light connector blocks and relays, and now im confused :(

I was going to use the existing Red wire as the feed to both the relays along with the Red/Black and Red/White wires as the switched earth relay triggers.
With entirely new wiring, for the live feeds to the lights, fused seperately and fed direct from the battery, via said relays...simples

only now it isnt :confused:

toopy

Club Member
Well, after an amazing response and helpful advice i got the wiring sorted :devil: :thumbs:

Everything works as it should, and i didnt need to breakout the fire extinguisher!