head ID

My 'other' head.

Its been worked, large valve seats(I measure 38/44). casting mark has been ground off.

there's a machining stamp, 0.020, CC's measure about 42 with one small valve in, so nearer 40.

Maths make it about 3.6cc removed, so N42? Looks right from pics of a stock one? Possibly early e88, or even looking at it, e31 with big valves

Any thoughts? I was going to perform the same to my e31, however that can wait till the future.

vzsePMt.jpg

u88BPkR.jpg

tskSZjX.jpg

F4haafP.jpg

Fx4ZmcJ.jpg

vehZGYx.jpg

HDzsfTw.jpg

UJo3Ms2.jpg

top shot, other head is an e31....

fOeVzoj.jpg

close up of the e31

uHo4YgW.jpg

pe0FdpP.jpg

Jr4gNbE.jpg

AISIi5g.jpg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think it looks quite a lot like your e31 head. Where did it come from? I'm not sure we even got N42 heads here.
going by this page:
https://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/4286-overview-of-l6-engine-heads/
I reckon heads with that N42 chamber shape were still cast as E88 here - my E88 has that asymmetric shape around the spark plug hole.
Copy of IMG_1216.JPG

Given no injection ports and spray bar holes (I think?) and the pics, I think it could be either an E31 or an early E88. guess.

Yes, its got quench pads, so now leaning more to early e88 or e31.

Looks like an unshrouded e31? Large valve conversion.....

your e88 above doesn't have quench pads it looks like? so a 260/late e88?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yes, no quench pads on mine. I got it on an L24 with an fs5c71a box, both reported to have been original equipment of a 240z that rotted away, so couldn't have been that early.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I can’t say what type of head it is but we def have N42 heads in the uk. Late 260z have them. I have a uk 260z with N42, and also a 280z (not uk) N42 motor.
If there’s any external features I could compare.