[SOLVED] - Head gasket replacement vg30e | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

[SOLVED] Head gasket replacement vg30e

Discussion in 'Z31 (300ZX) Engine' started by Northerner, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Northerner

Northerner
    Z Club Member

I started loosing a little water from my z31 and I could not find any leaks so I pulled a rocket cover to find the horrible milky gunk inside.

Attached Files:

2. Northerner

Northerner
    Z Club Member

This was a few weeks ago so I’ve been busy dismantling the heads etc and had them skimmed and tested and then the old lapping in the valves the old fashion way

Attached Files:

3. Northerner

Northerner
    Z Club Member

I was surprised to find that the guides had very little play even after 120k. However things were not all plain sailing as 4 exhaust studs snapped. The engineers managed to drill out 2 and thread insert the other 2. That white stuff gets everywhere so most of my time has been spent cleaning cleaning and more cleaning.

Attached Files:

4. Northerner

Northerner
    Z Club Member

Got an Ajusa head set for £110 delivered which compared with OEM, the gaskets seem good quality. Heads back in today with the timing gears and cleaned rockers. Can’t do any more due to a storm that’s just started

Attached Files:

Mr Tenno likes this.
  5. Northerner

Northerner
    Z Club Member

I may have scored a garage for a year so plans to sell are on hold for now

6. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Good work. Are you doing this all outside?

7. Northerner

Northerner
    Z Club Member

Yup on the drive! Sore back but hey hoe

8. Northerner

Northerner
    Z Club Member

Bit more progress today. Exhaust manifold and inlet on. Timing done which is a bit tricky to setup including fitting the distributor as it’s easy to get it a tooth out.

Attached Files:

Huw likes this.
  9. Northerner

Northerner
    Z Club Member

Sorry I haven’t update for a while but the cross over flexi decided to cause a massive exhaust leak. Had a spare so stopped it over and now running sweet!
    I may polish and paint the v6 sign on the top? Any ideas ?

Attached Files:

10. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well done. Glad it's going well again.
    Personally I think the plenum/ cover is OK like that!

11. mrM

mrM Well-Known Forum User

the way i did it was to spray the whole thing in red heat resistant wrinkle paint then take a very very fine linishing disc on a grinder and flash over the whole thing lightly leaving the red where you want and shiny aluminium then coat the whole thing in heat resistant lacquer ,or just give it to a wheel refurb firm to powder coat,diamond cut,then lacquer

12. Northerner

Northerner
    Z Club Member

4E063A75-6A02-4631-B013-FADF899BBE74.jpeg Might give that ago over winter but my stead had been put away out of the bad weather