harewood hillclimb in the 70s

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
just stumbled upon this on Facebook great to use it see things uploaded here that don't always see on Google etc

anyway a bloke called William struth used to hillclimb a 240z super samuri he was from Edinborough

this particular photo is from a local hillclimb to me nearest one over Leeds way harewood hillclimb

Attachments

• 4561_87630138559_4560561_n.jpg
    4561_87630138559_4560561_n.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 44

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Google him and only this programme comes up in pdf form

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190804-095251.jpg
    Screenshot_20190804-095251.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 22

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Weren't the Struth family connected to a Datsun franchise in Edinburgh, or am I getting the name mixed up with another?

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
all it says on the pdf programe sheet is he is from Edinburgh so very good chance you are right

I was looking for something on Facebook and I haven't messaged the bloke that uploaded it he just listed the photos as 70s hillclimb cars from harewood hillclimb

John Istead

Forum User
I’m sorry to say that it went to Ireland to compete in a mixed championship of sprints, hillclimbs & races, driven by Robert Rankin & ended up being written off at the last event, AFTER Robert won the championship.
I’m pleased to say that it won several sprint championships in my hands before going to Ireland.

sam rich@sjr

Forum User
I’m sorry to say that it went to Ireland to compete in a mixed championship of sprints, hillclimbs & races, driven by Robert Rankin & ended up being written off at the last event, AFTER Robert won the championship.
I’m pleased to say that it won several sprint championships in my hands before going to Ireland.
Hi john , Did my dad John from Fourways prepare the car for you at some point ?? I can remember seeing photos of the car

John Istead

Forum User
Hi Ben / Sam,
Yes Ben, we met at the Abingdon Sprint a couple of years ago & spoke about your car, but I couldn’t help you with any further info. I obviously had to have another one & have bought a Nismo. The other person, Sam Rich, who replied to my post is apparently the son of John Rich, who owned the Janspeed car some years ago & may be able to give you more information, let’s hope he sees this post. Hope we see each other again.
Yes, Sam, I knew your father well, indeed he helped me no end. I didn’t know he had a son, I am sure if we met up we could share some amazing stories. If you would like to meet, reply to this post with your details & I’ll contact you.
Kind regards both,
John

ben240z

Club Member
Hi Ben / Sam,
Yes Ben, we met at the Abingdon Sprint a couple of years ago & spoke about your car, but I couldn’t help you with any further info. I obviously had to have another one & have bought a Nismo. The other person, Sam Rich, who replied to my post is apparently the son of John Rich, who owned the Janspeed car some years ago & may be able to give you more information, let’s hope he sees this post. Hope we see each other again.
Yes, Sam, I knew your father well, indeed he helped me no end. I didn’t know he had a son, I am sure if we met up we could share some amazing stories. If you would like to meet, reply to this post with your details & I’ll contact you.
Kind regards both,
John
Hi John, yes hopefully will meet up at a meeting somewhere though it will be a late start to the season this year as the Z is still undergoing a rebuild following a little mishap at Wiscombe last year. Sadly will be missing Abingdon.

Sam sent me a couple of photos of the car when his dad had it and I am slowly piecing the history together. Though every new piece puts another twist in the chequered story

John Istead

Forum User
Hi Ben,
I’ve done Wiscombe in my 240, it was tight for that, so must be VERY tight in the Janspeed car.
Good luck with the rebuild.
John

sam rich@sjr

Forum User
Hi Ben / Sam,
Kind regards both,
John
Hi john sorry not got back to you sooner ,Dad had 2 boys me then my younger brother Oliver ,I have sent you a message with my contact details .
I think this could be your old z behind the janspeed Z while in dads ownership ? regards sam
86A23659-7A88-4ED4-893E-567A350D004E.jpeg