GTR For sale....

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
It's not a 'Datsun' (it's a Nissan) and it's not a 'GT-R'.

Nothing wrong with replicas/tributes/lookalikes, but you can't describe them as something they are not when you are selling them.

Just in case anyone is unaware, this is what the car would have looked like when it was new:

KGC10-1.jpgKGC10-2.jpg

richiep

Club Member
KGC10 GT doing the GT-R lookalike thing - which is fine, but the listing, as noted above, misrepresents things rather significantly considering the fundamental (never-mind value) differences between a KGC10 and a KPGC10.

In Manchester... maybe its time to flog the red Z and the Celica - or plead with the wife to sub me a few quid....

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
KGC10 GT doing the GT-R lookalike thing...

Judging by the engine bay tag, I reckon it started life as a KGC10-T (GT-X) model with twin 38mm Hitachis rather than the single twin-choke downdraught carb of the KGC10-TN (GT) model.

richiep

Club Member
Judging by the engine bay tag, I reckon it started life as a KGC10-T (GT-X) model with twin 38mm Hitachis rather than the single twin-choke downdraught carb of the KGC10-TN (GT) model.
I'm sure you are probably right; I was going off a quick browse over the photos and had noted it had manual windows/no electric window console switches, which I thought were the norm for a GT-X.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I really fancy it…

What’s the market on one in this condition? I’ve seen some over the pond in aus for $80,000 but I guess it’ll be a lot more here?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I really fancy it…

What’s the market on one in this condition? I’ve seen some over the pond in aus for $80,000 but I guess it’ll be a lot more here?

It's quite difficult to give pricing guidelines for these cars outside the Japanese market. Asking prices and selling prices seem to be quite variable.

But there's a fairly similar 'GT-R look' modified KGC10 on a current Bring-a-Trailer auction in the USA, which might be a useful reference point: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-nissan-kgc10/

It's currently bid up to 65,000 USD with 7 hours left to run. I'm guessing it will go higher, but might not reach the seller's reserve.

datsfun

Club Member
I know of 2 owners in UK, both have GT-R clones and their owners believe their respective cars are upwards of £150k !

So valuation is subjective to say the least !

Ian

Club Member
Wish I could afford that one on Bring-a-trailer. I've wanted one a while, but I want a GT-R replica because I want to modify it, and you can't modify a genuine GT-R

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Wish I could afford that one on Bring-a-trailer. I've wanted one a while, but I want a GT-R replica because I want to modify it, and you can't modify a genuine GT-R

There are plenty of modified PGC10, KPGC10 & KPGC110 GT-Rs in Japan. Not very many are 100% bone as-it-left-the-factory stock, and if they are then usually they have been returned to stock after a resto.

My own KPGC10 is an example of a GT-R that the original owner couldn't stop modifying, and pretty much from the day he bought it new. It's a national disease in Japan...!

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
But there's a fairly similar 'GT-R look' modified KGC10 on a current Bring-a-Trailer auction in the USA, which might be a useful reference point: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-nissan-kgc10/

It's currently bid up to 65,000 USD with 7 hours left to run. I'm guessing it will go higher, but might not reach the seller's reserve.

SOLD for 106,000 USD.

There's a current 'modified KGC10 out of Japan' reference point then I guess.

richiep

Club Member
I know of 2 owners in UK, both have GT-R clones and their owners believe their respective cars are upwards of £150k !

Hmm, did those cars come with powerful hallucinogens included?…

As for the USD106k - I’m not sure the US is any kind of reliable bellwether anymore for values of anything in the rest of the world. As someone who has been there every year since the 00s (pandemic excepted), the cost and values of everything have escalated in a way divorced from everywhere else. Classic and collectible car values have been no exception; things are achieving prices there that simply would not fly here. There has been a knock-on effect though - see the spiralling prices in the 90s Jap scene, R33s, 34s, etc.

Still, there’s a tiny constituency for a car like a C10 Skyline here, and even fewer who actually know anything about what they are looking at - as per all the confusion about what the car above is and it’s false advertising. And that includes some of the owners!

Those guys thinking their cars are worth 150k here would be lucky to get half that IMO. They’d stand more chance selling to the US.

The quality of the Hakosukas imported here have also been variable; I’ve seen a couple of KGC10 GTR-alikes that have been obviously full of filler and would be a nightmare if someone decided to start poking around…

All part of the gtr scene where they bloke Dave talks about his GTR, even though it’s not a gtr and how much he charges people for their not GTR’s?

You do want to buy some smoke with your mirror?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
What did this get up to? Didn't hit the reserve I guess.

It says "Auction Coming Soon", so presumably the actual online bidding hasn't started yet.

As for the USD106k - I’m not sure the US is any kind of reliable bellwether anymore for values of anything in the rest of the world. As someone who has been there every year since the 00s (pandemic excepted), the cost and values of everything have escalated in a way divorced from everywhere else. Classic and collectible car values have been no exception; things are achieving prices there that simply would not fly here. There has been a knock-on effect though - see the spiralling prices in the 90s Jap scene, R33s, 34s, etc.

If somebody actually wants to buy a car like this, then the main source is - of course - Japan. And it's not like prices there are particularly low. Exchange rate is also a factor. Unless you go there in person to inspect, you're putting yourself in the hands of somebody else and their informed/uninformed opinion. In my personal experience, the better cars tend to stay in Japan because they change hands privately.

At the very least, the Bring-a-Trailer format tends to show plenty of detailed photos of each car. They encourage on-the-lift underside shots and questions can be asked. You don't get that in most Japanese selling formats.

So, all things considered, I think the Bring-a-Trailer 106k USD sale yesterday is a good reference point in 'world market' terms. If nothing else, sales like that have a ripple effect on sellers' expectations.

The bigger question for me is, what do cars like this actually mean? The buyer has spent 106k+ USD and he still hasn't got a GT-R. Strong money for a car pretending to be something that it isn't.