Greasing your nipples

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Have you grease your nipples recently? I’m not talking about using BodyGlide on your last Triathlon either!!

I want to grease my nipples or strictly speaking the 260’s nipples and wondered what you guys are using? LM2? EP2? Butter? Marg? Vaseline? Any grease will do?

I am guessing LM2 will suffice but should it be EP2 for high forces on U joints and ball joints?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Isn't ball-joint grease the Moly one? Just having something in there is better than nothing I'm sure. There used to be just 'grease' but now there seems to be several types of it for specific purposes. Maybe there's alway been and I've not noticed.

Halfords MoT centres don't have grease guns apparently, just as an aside.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Halfords MoT centres don't have grease guns apparently, just as an aside.

Brilliant!!!! I guess somethings are obsolete technology like points and carbs etc!

At the petrol station yesterday one of the mechanics from the garage next to it came over to look at the car and wanted to look under the bonnet - he had no idea what the carbs were!!!!!!! But then again why would you if you only ever deal with modern cars and their MOTs?

You’re so right about grease! I remember being a boy working next to my dad on his cars, we had a jar of Castrol grease than went on everything - including our sandwiches!! ;)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thank you both - ordered a cartridge of Moly (which I had NEVER heard of before).

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I guess this afternoon, I’d be greasing my nipples!!!

6235415c63a7ebf8abe4d0d114d12193.jpg

I decided to dump my old Ebay cheapo gun and get a proper one. This Draper thing is SUBSTANTIAL and heavy compared with the other one!

The moly arrive yesterday too - so thanks for the advice gents!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Armed with my new gun I set about the nipples at the front of the car. I actually unscrewed each one out, gave them a jolly good clean to avoid pushing any grit in.

The question I have is: aren’t the ball joints supposed to have some kind of rubber to keep the grease in? One squeeze on the handle and this happened on both sides!! [emoji15]

138acfa740bdb56782b6325e304c2313.plist

Looks like I’ll be putting on some new ball joints soon also.[emoji849]

Any recommendations on brands!?