Graphene Anti-Corrosion Primer | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

Graphene Anti-Corrosion Primer

Discussion in 'Anything and everything' started by toopy, Sep 6, 2020.

1. toopy

toopy
    Z Club Member

2. AD240Z

AD240Z
    Z Club Member

toopy likes this.
  3. Huw

Huw
    Z Club Member

That sounds like interesting stuff. Anything that helps the reduction of water vapour transfer has got to be a good thing.

4. richiep

richiep
    Z Club Member

I’ve used the Halfords graphene primer here and there on Project Dixie when I wasn’t ready to crack open a new 2k epoxy can. It’s very strong smelling, but leaves a nice finish that looks superior to standard 1k primers. Tougher too.

toopy likes this.
  5. toopy

toopy
    Z Club Member

Did you apply it to bare metal or on top of etch?

6. richiep

richiep
    Z Club Member

On top of a mixture of bare metal and Novol weld-they bodywork primer. There’s no traditional acid etch primer anywhere near my car.

toopy likes this.
  7. Pete

Pete Well-Known Forum User

Is acid etch primer a bad thing?

8. moggy240

moggy240 INSURANCE VALUATIONS OFFICER Staff Member Moderator

I hate it when it's called acid etch primer as it implies it sticks to anything , all surfaces need to be prepped for it to stick.
    2k epoxy primer is really the only way to go.

AliK likes this.
  9. richiep

richiep
    Z Club Member

It’s not compatible with epoxy primer, which is the route I’ve gone down as the main sealer. Epoxy is a more modern coating too and is durable for the car to stand for longer before paint. Etch is more hydroscopic and can’t be left standing in the same way an epoxy can.

AliK likes this.
  10. Ian

Ian
    Z Club Member

Nothing really wrong with etch. Its just that these days Epoxy is a better option.