Getting ready for a track day at Castle Combe

toon_herit

Club Member
I bought at 240Z at the end of last year and booked up for a track day at Castle Combe in May! It’s a rally car so not entirely suited for track but making a few changes.
I live in Northumberland so quite a journey down (and back as well).
The car hadn’t been used for a few years, not since the Welsh GB rally in 2017 but passed an MOT recently so generally good.
Have had to replace broken front indicator (have purchased original Euro spec ones but added some Honda motorbike ones for now).
Also found that the fan override switch was intermittent and traced a broken wire.
Some relays were also rusty, and although the worked I’ve replaced them.
The light switch was dodgy as well so replaced that, along with some other switches to match.
One of the spot lights (Lucas 20/20) was broken, but replaced all 4 with Cibie’s.
The seats were also not suited to me (a way of saying I’m bigger than the last driver ). Awaiting new seats from Motordrive.
The main change is wheels and tyres. It came with 2 sets of gravel tyres and a set of not-so-great tarmac. I’ve had the original Minilites painted black and transferred the track tyres from my TR4 onto them (can share the wheels as same).
A few other things have changed, like fixing the rear spoiler as a a fibreglass version which was cracked in a few places so sorted.

toon_herit

Club Member
After replacing the indicators and lights.

Attachments

• FE992A44-F3B4-4777-ADB7-6C629A2FF14F.jpeg
    FE992A44-F3B4-4777-ADB7-6C629A2FF14F.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 35

toon_herit

Club Member
Put the TR4 wheels on (Revolutions) with Avon track tyres. I need to switch the tyres onto the newly painted Minilites.

Attachments

• 455AFCA8-F14E-4906-B650-8649CC884898.jpeg
    455AFCA8-F14E-4906-B650-8649CC884898.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 39

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
We used to have regular trackdays at Castle Combe about 15 years ago. It's a hell of a long way for you to go. I may come down - keep in touch.

Is your car quiet now, strict rules re noise?

I would think you need to lower the car and stiffen it up for track use.

It looks a lot tidier now.

toon_herit

Club Member
We used to have regular trackdays at Castle Combe about 15 years ago. It's a hell of a long way for you to go. I may come down - keep in touch.

Is your car quiet now, strict rules re noise?

I would think you need to lower the car and stiffen it up for track use.

It looks a lot tidier now.
Dropped it by about 2 inches, and to be honest the fronts probably won’t go much lower but might settle once moved.

TimFZ

Club Member
Ah, oh well! I'm only on track for the morning, delayed from last year! Standard mk3 mr2, best time around the track 1 min 29.6 seconds.....

toon_herit

Club Member
Shame paths not crossed. I’ve got a 300 mile journey to get there which will be horrendous I’m sure with a noisy rally car Fortunately the gearing isn’t too bad (65mph at 3,000 revs).
I did a 300 mile trip to Goodwood last October in a 1954 TR2 so the 240Z should be okay

toon_herit

Club Member
Got a Range Rover with a tow bar, and bought a trailer but like driving my classics Actually feel better driving them than attached to a tow bar (weird I know).
Trailering my classic Mini Cooper replica to a track day in June but just local.

TimFZ

Club Member
My old UR Quattro went round Combe in the same time, 1 min 29 secs. However averaged 5mpg on the track. The mr2 gets 15 mpg!

After a hard start in the UR following a spin on a chicane, heard the knock of death, big end gone. After investigation at home, it was caused by my refill (of the 20gallon tank!) after lunch with std unleaded and not super. Detonation melted the piston edge (also under piston oil spray was blocked), until compression lost, blew all the oil out of the dipstick hole and then lunched the engine.

Managed to rebuild it with a new piston set, rings and honing the bores. Then sold on the 4 good pistons from my original set for a profit to a Mk2 Golf 16v owner doing a turbo conversion. Perfect to reduce the compression ratio from 9.5 to around 7.5.

Hence the MR2. Its cheap, reliable and relatively easy to work on. If I blow it up, it goes! Have fun!