Gearbox

Wyn

Club Member
Just a few questions re the 6 speed manual gearboxes
How do you know what year they are from - early to late?
Are the box cases marked or coded so?
Is the 350z box physically different to 370z box, as in fit differently ?

Anyone got any pics of a 6 speed manual gear box as removed from a car ?
Pref top bottom n side on pics of a complete gear box if poss
... and one showing mount holes from underneath to :)

ta

johnymd

Club Member
6 speed box???? leads on to the main question of what engine is going in the zed for next year?

Wyn

Club Member
6 speed box???? leads on to the main question of what engine is going in the zed for next year?

Same again Jon, still a hybrid bastard child RB with a few more CC this time :)

Only just noticed adaptor plates are now available for RB motors to 350z gearboxes
States only as far as I can see so dearer then what they seem to be in the uk, but if they cant be had anywhere else then no choice
Maybe nothing will come of it but as its out there it could be worth a crack

Would be nice to find out whats what with these 6 speed boxes first mind and if one comes up at the right price I might have a pop :thumbs:

datsun dave

Club Member
Same again Jon, still a hybrid bastard child RB with a few more CC this time :)

Only just noticed adaptor plates are now available for RB motors to 350z gearboxes
States only as far as I can see so dearer then what they seem to be in the uk, but if they cant be had anywhere else then no choice
Maybe nothing will come of it but as its out there it could be worth a crack

Would be nice to find out whats what with these 6 speed boxes first mind and if one comes up at the right price I might have a pop :thumbs:

First question can they cope with the power.

Wyn

Club Member
Looking on the net figures of upto 800hp are about? But then they say that about the Skyline 2wd gearboxes.
I think i'm on my 4th Skyline box so they an't that great lol
I did also see they can be had for £1200 new but cant see from where or how they can be that low
Then again the new Skyline box I bought was about that so maybe right ?

racer

Club Member
Aren't the 350 Boxes a bit on the big side Win?

Have you trashed your new Skyline box already?

Wyn

Club Member
Aren't the 350 Boxes a bit on the big side Win?

Have you trashed your new Skyline box already?

Nope, not yet as its been pushed more then driven lately :D

As for physical size I don't know. It looks like the selector can be shortened right down which makes the box longer then it is ?
Dunno as need to see a pic of them side b side really but they actually look narrower but longer maybe ??

Wyn

Club Member
Chees for the link
Yep in that the box looks a biggy so maybe not ?
Will see :)

astroboy

Well-Known Forum User
The 350 gearbox is apparently now a possible box to use when mated with a Rb and also the 1JZ/2JZ.
I've seen conversions for both.

8358920010_large.jpg

That was a google search and ironically, it's GTR thread asking about how to mate it to a RB.
GTR thread

I'm not sure about how it would actually fit into the s30 with a RB but I do know when I actually pull my thumb out and install the VQ that I have to shorten the shifter.

http://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/vq240z-build-blog/shifter-relocation

Saying that on the GTR thread, someone from Stockholm has already done the 350Z RB conversion and stuck it into their 240z which is based in stockport.

Wyn

Club Member
Cheers yes I saw those threads
Will keep an eye out for one but no great rush atm as am sure the conversion plates will come down in price or more peeps will start making them.
Am sure a box will fall from the sky's so it can wait for now :)

Wyn

Club Member
Getting it shortened might be tricky or very expensive but you could still use the ends as normal