Gearbox removal on Jack stands

240L31

Club Member
Hey,

Did anyone try to remove the gearbox without a lift (car on jack stands)? I might have to go that route soon..

Thanks!

240L31

Club Member
So it sounds like it's doable 😁 I was just worried that the clearance with jacks wouldn't be enough. I'll try to improvise a transmission jack..

Huw

Club Member
Couple of sets of car ramps will give you plenty of room and give more stability and piece of mind than axle stands. Lots of wiggle about will ensue pulling the box off and putting it back on.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I bought a transmission jack to get the box out of my 944 which is at the back, and I thought it was definitely needed … but you could do it by other means. The T5 manual box went into the Mustang by means of jacks and blocks of wood …

Paul_S

Club Member
The advice I was given when I asked was that if lift the car high enough and you lie on your back that you can wrestle the gearbox out resting it on your belly and knees.

I've not done it, but I think that's worthy of a YouTube video!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes about 6 times.
I have used ramps but used a jack to lift the car via the crossmember and slide the ramps under the tyres. Had them facing forward so they don't restrict access. Trolly jack works but the gearbox can rock and fall off. I have used two jacks so I could tilt the box - all a bit precarious. DON'T try to handle the gearbox on your chest - far too heavy and dangerous.

On my car with GDS exhaust manifold I had to remove it and the inlet manifold each time - PITA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huw

ben240z

Club Member
Done this many times and even in the paddock at a meeting when i broke 2nd gear.

I have my knees under the bell housing and the tail above my chest then as the gearbox comes back off the spline gentle lower my knees and bring the box down onto my legs and chest.
It is then a bit of a wriggle to crawl out to towards the rear of the car, letting the box onto the ground. It can then be dragged out sideways.

Refitting is the reverse.

You do have to drain the oil otherwise you get a facefull of it (not that this has ever happened to me :) )

zbloke

Club Member
So it sounds like it's doable 😁 I was just worried that the clearance with jacks wouldn't be enough. I'll try to improvise a transmission jack..
Do you only want to drop the gearbox down to work on the clutch/rear of engine or get the box out from underneath the car too?

If it's the former then axle stands will be fine, done it myself but I would strongly recommend buying a small, wheeled transmission jack, the kind with a tilting bed to strap the gearbox to

240L31

Club Member
I need to fully remove the gearbox as it is leaking righ now. I suspect the input shaft seal isn't working properly anymore..

uk66fastback

Club Member
Off my 944. Yes Huw, they can! Perfect size as well for covering those greasy driveshaft joints!
I was putting a new release bearing in, so everything has to come out on a 944, gearbox, exhaust, prop etc. Not a nice job in terms of time …

IMG_1427.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Huw