Gearbox Pinion Gear Question & Answer

Paul_S

Club Member
I had the wrong pinion gear in my gearbox as it didn't match the rear diff ratio. The speedo was working but showing the incorrect speed.

So I thought I'd save a few quid and bought a new pinion gear (a blue one to replace a red one) and switches gears rather than the whole carrier. All went well (I thought) but now the speedo doesn't register anything. It just occurred to me that each gear is a different size and the carriers are probably subtly different to ensure the gears mesh properly. Does anyone know for sure?

I just dug up this photo from when I swapped gears and looking at this again I think I've answered my own question. I now notice '20' stamped in the carrier which would match the red (20-teeth) gear that used to be in it:

gallery_245_510_222767.png

So now I'm on the hunt for an 18-teeth speedo drive...

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I don't think the carriers are different, but the pinions are offset in the carrier so you have to rotate it right to engage it in the drive in the speedo.

Paul_S

Club Member
Ah, that could be encouraging. I did wonder about turning it but there is a flat and clip held in by a screw so I just lined that up dead straight.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think the trick is to slowly rotate the carrier while rotating the prop, at some point you should see the centre of the speedo drive rotating. You want just enough rotation to engage it.