Gearbox oil 240z

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Guys
What oil are you using in your 240z gear boxes. I’ve seen both G4 and G5 75w90 mentioned in other forums with no clear ‘winner’

Thanks

Huw

Club Member
Use what the manual states a good quality 75w90. Generally ( there are always exceptions). GL4 for gearbox if it’s got brass synchros. GL5 best in diffs

Huw

Club Member
I am using Millers GL5 in the diff I’m running and recently changed to AMSOIL GL4 75w90 in the gearbox. I’ve also used Redline in the gearbox in the past, but much preferring the AMSOIL to be honest. Any good quality correct spec oil should be fine, I’m sure others will have their favourites.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Thanks, had put Redline at top of my list as wanted best quality in the gearbox especially with my short shift (which I’m still learning to use😂) so will look at AMSOIL - why are you preferring AMSOIL?
Thanks

Huw

Club Member
Personal preference to be honest. Gear change in my S14 box as alway been a bit harsh. AMSOIL has better shock loading qualities than Redline and I’ve found the gear changes is now a lot smoother. I probably really need to rebuild the gearbox. Job for another day.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
GL4 for gearbox if it’s got brass synchros.

Original UK market HS30Q and HS30QU 'Datsun 240Z' models used FS5C71-A and FS5C71-B 5-speed overdrive transmissions with Porsche-patent 'Servo' steel synchros.

The steel synchros have a reputation for being sensitive to oil type used, and the expensive (but probably best) choice is SWEPCO 201.

Not recommended to use oil for Warner-patent (brass) synchros in Porsche-patent (steel) 'boxes, and vice-versa. Plenty of UK market steel synchro 'boxes have had their lives shortened by use of oils designed for (USA market) Warner brass synchro 'boxes.

Huw

Club Member
Original UK market HS30Q and HS30QU 'Datsun 240Z' models used FS5C71-A and FS5C71-B 5-speed overdrive transmissions with Porsche-patent 'Servo' steel synchros.

The steel synchros have a reputation for being sensitive to oil type used, and the expensive (but probably best) choice is SWEPCO 201.

Not recommended to use oil for Warner-patent (brass) synchros in Porsche-patent (steel) 'boxes, and vice-versa. Plenty of UK market steel synchro 'boxes have had their lives shortened by use of oils designed for (USA market) Warner brass synchro 'boxes.
Thank you Alan, I was looking for that little gem in past posts but couldn’t find it.

Kieronpollock

Club Member

Thanks Alan

thanks Alan, this is clearly where my confusion has arisen ie I thought all boxes used brass synchros given posts on other forums have been US based and therefore no mention in the difference in the UK market
The cost of SWEPCO is similar to AMSOIL and Redline the problem is it only seems to come in 4 litres so it would cost a whopping £78 to replace the oil and put half of it away for a ‘rainy day’ any views on Redline and AMSOIL as the next best option?
Thanks

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The cost of SWEPCO is similar to AMSOIL and Redline the problem is it only seems to come in 4 litres so it would cost a whopping £78 to replace the oil and put half of it away for a ‘rainy day’ any views on Redline and AMSOIL as the next best option?

Sorry. I have no personal experience of Redline or AMSOIL products with regard to the steel synchro question I'm afraid, although - obviously - both brands have great reputations.

SWEPCO 201 is (off the top of my head?) I believe 80W/90, and is made from old dinosaurs. I'm told by those who know better than me that synthetics are not suitable for the steel synchros. Neither are friction modifiers.

It is kind of contrary to expectation, but you don't want an oil that is too 'slippery' here. The Porsche-patent steel Servo synchros employ steel baulk rings (we should be talking about baulk rings rather than synchromeshes) and - as their name suggests - they rely on a draggy/baulking action in order to smooth the correct meshing of gears. Anything that smooths that baulkiness (as in friction additives for LSDs to quieten plate chatter) is the opposite of what is required. If anything, the more modern gear oils, synthetics and the like, are too good for the baulk ring system to work properly...

Just as an aside, Nissan supplied the north American market HLS30U Datsun 240Z and sub-variants with 4-speed FS4W71-A and FS4W71-B transmissions with brass Warner-patent synchros because it was felt that the more positive, deliberate shift action required of the FS5C71-A and FS5C71-B transmissions as supplied to Japan and the rest of the world would not be to the taste of the average American customer.

Nissan saw the Porsche system as being more 'sporty' and the Warner system as being a little more on the leisurely side. A matter of taste perhaps, but the Porsche system boxes are designed to have a slightly 'baulky' shift action that requires a certain amount of positivity. Like a rifle bolt action, for example.

Nissan's Sports/Race Option A and B type transmissions were almost always fitted with the steel synchros, if that's a clue to the shift feel.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Wow this is great info thanks, every day is truly a school day. Just wish could find your recommended oil in smaller quantities