Gearbox needed

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I've got a couple of syncromesh issues on my 260Z gearbox - particularly in 2nd gear and worse when the engine is cold. When warmed up it is not too bad, and can be avoided by double de-clutching.

However, have decided I might just splash out on a replacement gearbox. Anybody got one for sale?

It must be a fully reconditioned box - I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of swapping boxes only to find the new one is no better than the one I have taken out.

Let me know. Thanks.

JK240

Club Member
Sounds similar to mine, Riddler. I am planning to put one of Pmac's S14 box's in (when I can afford to). Hopefully that way it should last.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I did it myself.

Propshaft shortening £50

Z bellhousing machining £60

Gearbox mounting fabrication £0

S13/14 Gearbox £60 - £300

If you don't know what you are doing buy a 'kit' from Pete.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Well was looking to find a reconditioned 260 box and just get my friendly mechanic Mark in Macclesfield to swap it for me - but they seem very pricey.

What is an S13/14? And how does this kit work? It seems a cheaper option but what is involved?

Bear in mind when you respond that I am NOT a mechanic!!!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

Steve, that is tending to suggest (I think) that my wormanship was inferior which it was not and is unfair. In fact I probably have the most reliable car that gets used in anger in the club.

The propshaft, gearbox mounting and bellhousing are all fine. The engineer who did the bellhousing was a VERY skilled man, recommended to me by my engineer neighbour.

When in a rush I have a tendancy to try to select Reverse instead of 4th. I've done it on 280 boxes and S13 boxes. I intend to build an H gate with a 'reverse lock' but when? Early in 2010 I did that at Castle Combe only a week after changing the box because a selector broke at Mallory Park (see pic) , so in 2 weeks I had three boxes in the car. Since then the car has been fine (many track days and trips to Le Mans and Spa).

So my gearbox conversion is just fine. :thumbs:

Attachments

• Gearbox 006.JPG
    Gearbox 006.JPG
    682.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
I did the S14A gearbox conversion the box cost me £250 but I should of had it rebuilt before fitting it really, It came from a 500bhp S14 and jumps out of 4th on the overrun, But it's not an expensive fix it just needs new bearings.

Apart from that it's a much better box to use.

Rob

Mr.G

Club Member
Buy a S13/14 (Nissan 200SX box) kit then. Once fitted it should last - as long as you don't have my bad habits!

Agree, if you want a plug and play solution buy the kit from PMac, it will be a doddle for your mechanic to fit.

Be prepared for it to feel like a very different car, gear changes are precise and quick, especially if you go for the quick shift option. In my opinion it improves the driving experience but if you like the feeling of driving an old car it may not be for you.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Steve, that is tending to suggest (I think) that my wormanship was inferior which it was not and is unfair. In fact I probably have the most reliable car that gets used in anger in the club.

The propshaft, gearbox mounting and bellhousing are all fine. The engineer who did the bellhousing was a VERY skilled man, recommended to me by my engineer neighbour.

When in a rush I have a tendancy to try to select Reverse instead of 4th. I've done it on 280 boxes and S13 boxes. I intend to build an H gate with a 'reverse lock' but when? Early in 2010 I did that at Castle Combe only a week after changing the box because a selector broke at Mallory Park (see pic) , so in 2 weeks I had three boxes in the car. Since then the car has been fine (many track days and trips to Le Mans and Spa).

So my gearbox conversion is just fine. :thumbs:

Easy tiger, no one is inferring anything, I am sure your engineer neighbour is a fine fellow, and checked the box(s) thoroughly.

Yes I know you work them harder than most people do, even so a good one should shrug off most of the torque beating that a modest L6 can throw at them (miss selections aside), in good condition the S14 is a very strong box (the S13 not as much).

I was only pointing out that your "costs" only told half of the story and that a conversion can cost more, if you want things like a complete prop shaft rather than a "modified one", a pre inspection (teeth wear patterns, yoke and rod alignment, syncho wear etc.) oh and a modest guarantee.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
I've asked a couple of times on this forum for someone to tell me what the RATIOS are in an S14 box. This surely should be important in deciding what box to use, maybe not in a road car?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Nigel, I have counted the teeth on ALL the gears for both my early 280ZX box and one of my S13/14 boxes.

However I never did work out the ratios - too busy driving it ;). I'll try and find the paper sometime though.

On a general note the ratios are just fine for me (never noticed a 'big hole') and in fact at Donington they are perfect (just 3rd and 4th for 95% of the track).

There is a lot of talk about ratios but to be honest it doesn't worry me too much, when I reach the rev limit I change up ;). A sporty close ratio box would be nice on track but then on the road it would be a pain in the behind. For example I only use 5th for a short time on track (even with a 3.9 diff) but travelling down to Le Mans I use it 99% of the way and wish I had a 3.7 diff in. As a simple remedy I use 'taller' 60 tyres on the road, 50 or 55 on track.

OK for a serious competition car that is 'trailored', match the ratios to the rally route/race track/drag strip.

For your rally car it will be spinning it's wheels most of the time on the loose anyway.

Mr.G

Club Member
This is what I think the S14 ratios are, I have not had these numbers confirmed corrrect, I found this info on a US site so may not be accurate if different markets had different gearing.

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
just do a quick search on sxoc.com for all s14 gearbox ratio's.

It's quite interesting, swapping to an s14 box since i have 6 of them. I guess i have tosend Pete a message for his kit.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Rather tends to confirm what I originally thought ie, that the ratios on the late 280 box are closer and more suitable for my needs, 15" wheels,70 series tyres, 5.1 diff, not that I could possibly get away with an S14 box under historic rules anyway.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
You don't have to use the 'C' type 'boxes with their original Factory ratios. There are several close-ratio gear kits on the market.

Nigel Brook said:
....15" wheels,70 series tyres, 5.1 diff,

15" wheels ( on the S30-series Z ) were only allowed by the FIA from fairly recently, as a 'Force Majeure' type dispensation ( following a good case being made for in-period use ) due largely to the dearth of suitable 14" competition oriented tyres.

A 'C' type 'box would probably only become a bone of contention if you actually won something using it.,....;)