Gearbox and Differential Oil Change

toopy

Club Member
I'll probably use a Millers oil, is Ep 80w90 GL4 spec oil, ok for gearbox and diff, or is the diff GL5?

Is there a washer on the drain plugs or are they both interference/tapered plugs?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
deffo GL4. No washer - tapered plugs.
isn't 75w90 the recommended grade?

bluejon

Club Member
Just adding to this thread ... what oil would you add to a diff with an LSD. I have an R200 diff swap, but I don't know what type of LSD is in there. But it does need topping up ...

Mr.F

Inactive
Plate LSD requires LSD compatible oil. I have some Millers LSD oil left in stock.

Tech tip - make sure filler plugs come out before you drain!

toopy

Club Member
So, while doing a little more research on GL4, GL5 spec gear oil before i buy any, i came across this excellent nugget of info

View attachment GL4 or GL5 Gear Oil.pdf

Its quite a long read, but informative for those with an interest in the differences, especially as GL4 isn't always easy to come by

and after reading it, my question is, does the S30/S130 various gearboxes use yellow metals anywhere?

Paul_S

Club Member
Is it possible to fill the gearbox from above (i.e. remove the gear lever surround, etc.)? I was looking and I'm not sure how I'm going to get the oil to flow uphill into the box from underneath!!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is it possible to fill the gearbox from above (i.e. remove the gear lever surround, etc.)? I was looking and I'm not sure how I'm going to get the oil to flow uphill into the box from underneath!!

I put a long tube into the gearbox and a funnel on the tube in the engine bay. Then when it gets almost full stop continually pouring and do it in small quantities while looking for it overflowing out of the filler and onto the floor! Or you can squeeze the bottle/s from below. Yep it's an awkward job.

Paul_S

Club Member
I put a long tube into the gearbox and a funnel on the tube in the engine bay. Then when it gets almost full stop continually pouring and do it in small quantities while looking for it overflowing out of the filler and onto the floor! Or you can squeeze the bottle/s from below. Yep it's an awkward job.
Good plan sir! I'll get some tube that'll fit...

Makesy

Club Member
Sorry to go gravedigging, but I'm in need of a bit of help.

I have Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W90 GL4 ready for my gearbox, but can I use this in the diff too?

Just looking for a bit of clarity/help!

Thank you!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Sorry to go gravedigging, but I'm in need of a bit of help.

I have Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W90 GL4 ready for my gearbox, but can I use this in the diff too?

Just looking for a bit of clarity/help!

Thank you!
I'd say it'll be OK - if I had loads of it spare, I'd use it rather than buy something else.
But, Castrol does only advertise it for manual gearbox - they offer other's for gearbox and final drive, like:
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/unite...ion-fluids.html#tab_syntrans-transaxle-75w-90

Makesy

Club Member
I'd say it'll be OK - if I had loads of it spare, I'd use it rather than buy something else.
But, Castrol does only advertise it for manual gearbox - they offer other's for gearbox and final drive, like:
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/unite...ion-fluids.html#tab_syntrans-transaxle-75w-90
Thanks Jon. I took your advice and bought a litre of the syntrans stuff you shared for the diff.

I have 2 litres of the syntrax which I'll be using the majority of in the gearbox.

Castrol really do make it difficult with their product names!