Gauge help

Badgerous

New Forum User
all my gauges work...except fuel gauge and the clock, as 2 don't work I wondered if it was a fuse or gauge issue rather than say the sender from the tank being broken etc, also does anyone find that the oil pressure gauge reads 0 on idle yet is perfect when driving? 24k mile engine sounds and feels spot on

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hey buddy,

Tell us a little more about the car and what you have.

On my 260, I had the oil gauge issue. What I found was the connector to the sensor was pretty dirty and loose. I needed a change of underwear when on my freshly rebuilt engine I lost all oil pressure while pressing on. 'Twas just a loose connector.

Oil pressure varies greatly on these engines. I find idling for a while I get a quarter on the gauge and pressing on it sits well over three quarters. What is important is that the oil level is at max and removing the oil filler cap you see the cam spraying oils around. If you have those conditions then highly likely you have an electrical issue.

Check / clean / tighten electrical connectors first. If you ground the fuel sender one under the car, you should see the gauge go max. Same with water temp and oil sender wires.

As for the clock - most of them stopped long ago and need a recondition!

toopy

Club Member
My fuel gauge suddenly stopped working one day, but it hadnt failed the connection was all crudded up at the tank, a quick clean with emery paper and some contact cleaner spray and it came back to life.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The oil pressure senders aren't very reliable unless new so reading near zero at idle is not uncommon even with wiring in good shape.
The fuel sender is behind the right rear wheel - worth Checking that the wires are connected and not too corroded before getting onto anything more complicated.
What kind of car is it?