Garage Lift purchase query

Paul Henley

Club Member
Hi all. For some time I've been looking for a company that will supply, deliver and install a new garage car storage lift. Although there are many suppliers, there are not many companies who will also deliver and install. I've managed to source such a company and on the face of it, there is nothing to suggest there are any issues with them.
My concern is that although the company say they have the lift I want in stock, they want 75% of the total fee paid up front before the lift is delivered and installed with the remaining 25% of the balance paid following installation and commissioning.
Can anyone advise if this is normal business practice and I have nothing to fear or should alarm bells be ringing?
My concern follows my research in a suitable supplier where I have read reviews on a different supplier who took the fee and failed to deliver.
I realise there are other options regarding having different companies supply, transport and install a lift but I'd rather pay one company to do it all "in house".
Thanks for your input
Paul

MCBladeRun

Club Member
I would ask for references and speak to their customers. If it's legit then, the company wouldn't have any issue handing contact information out etc.

Don't hand out your money like that, and explain to them that you aren't comfortable with the situation. Genuine company would be able to see that from your pov.

Applies to everyone with anything really

Faster Behr

Club Member
I always do my own due diligence on a firm, the amount of which varies on the the risk factors - location, cost etc. Sometimes this is a quick look at reviews, sometimes it’s looking at their company’s annual returns and key people. When I was in business it wasn’t uncommon to use an investigator!

if you’re in any doubt then pay by credit card to gain the protections afforded by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. Even paying the deposit will protect the whole transaction.

Bazzateer

Club Member
If you intended to fit it yourself would you be happy to pay up front and await delivery? Of course you would. Seems to me the 75% covers the materials and delivery, and the 25% the installation?
References are always a good idea. Are they on Trustpilot and the other online review services?

Paul Henley

Club Member
I always do my own due diligence on a firm, the amount of which varies on the the risk factors - location, cost etc. Sometimes this is a quick look at reviews, sometimes it’s looking at their company’s annual returns and key people. When I was in business it wasn’t uncommon to use an investigator!

if you’re in any doubt then pay by credit card to gain the protections afforded by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. Even paying the deposit will protect the whole transaction.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that.

Paul Henley

Club Member
If you intended to fit it yourself would you be happy to pay up front and await delivery? Of course you would. Seems to me the 75% covers the materials and delivery, and the 25% the installation?
References are always a good idea. Are they on Trustpilot and the other online review services?
Hi thanks for the comment, my concern is that I maybe paying for materials and delivery before actually receiving anything, for such a large cost its quit a risk to an unknown internet seller.

Hi this is the link to the lift and company I'm interested in, I haven't seen many reviews on them or anything detrimental.

https://www.garageequipmentonline.com/products/parking-lifts/geo-m3-and-m3s-4-post-parking-lift

I tried to buy from them once. they were just a nightmare to get hold of and answer questions.

These were much more helpful

Paul Henley

Club Member
I tried to buy from them once. they were just a nightmare to get hold of and answer questions.

These were much more helpful

, Funnily enough I've emailed them for a price, thought I'd check before I made a commitment. Not sure if they'll install as far north as Cumbria. Did you pay up front before your lift was delivered and installed? Thanks.

Last edited:
, Funnily enough I've emailed them for a price, thought I'd check before I made a commitment. Not sure if they'll install as far north as Cumbria. Did you pay up front before your lift was delivered and installed? Thanks.

I ended up getting a used Bradbury one, it was about £1200 delivered with a jacking beam. however I'm looking to sell and get another as the ram on mine is in the post, so I'm limited by how high it'll go. I made a mistake basically!