Fuel Tanks

Russell

Club Member
Fuel tank considerations and some help needed please.

I am putting a 1jz from a soarer into my 260Z and was planning on using the Soarer tank based on the fact that it has the correct pump and is plug and play.
The original tank had a load of holes in it so that went in the bin.

Although the Soarer tank will work the best technically, it means cutting sections out of the spare wheel well, fabricating the filler neck to fit and working out how to get the original sender to work with the gauge.
I will need to think about some form of firewall as the tank will be inside the car, the loss of the boot, higher centre of gravity with the tank full.
Seems like a lot of work and compromise just so I don't have to mess about with fuel pumps.

Main challenge is money. Budget incredibly limited but fabrication budget unlimited so what are the options.

1 - Standard Z tank with a lift pump into a swirl tank - Anyone have a spare one?
2 - 280Z tank which I assume has a pump in it for the fuel injection - Anyone able to get hold of one of these?
3 - Any other options? Old cheap fuel cell etc.

Fabrication effort isn't an issue at all and I would rather something that will fit underneath the car or at least not intrude into the car too much.

What are everyones thoughts and ideas on the subject?

johnymd

Club Member
For my 1j I went lift pump/swirl pot/ hp pump. For the 3uz I just used the 280z tank straight to a hp pump. Both hp pumps are Bosch 044’s.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
what about something like this?
http://www.webcon.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=15149
all you need then is a basic tank to stick under the car with a low pressure pump.
if your fab skills are ok could you knock up a frame to hold a slim line alloy one under the car and run the filler pipe to suit.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I’ll have the same issue at some stage when I get to fuel injection install. I’ve looked at a few options but like the idea of an in tank swirl pot and pump to keep things neat.
If you can fab a new flat plate flange on top of your existing tank it should be easy to fit. I’ve attached an example link but they can be got fairly cheaply if you go for Range Rover or BMW.

http://www.smpe.co.uk/product-fuelpumps.asp

Russell

Club Member
Th main issue is that I scrapped the existing tank so need to source a whole tank as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnymd

Club Member
I’m afraid not Russell. I’ll be needing a few myself when the next batch of cars arrive. I’ll probably look at removing the spare wheel well and hanging a basic flat tank under the carbon shelf floor.

It would be good to find a modern car that has a suitable flat tank. Any suggestions?

Russell

Club Member
I’m afraid not Russell. I’ll be needing a few myself when the next batch of cars arrive. I’ll probably look at removing the spare wheel well and hanging a basic flat tank under the carbon shelf floor.

It would be good to find a modern car that has a suitable flat tank. Any suggestions?

Seems like a job for “Ali’s EBay insomnia”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk