Fuel Tank Strap Insulator

Ian

Club Member
I'll be fitting a new fuel tank soon and I'd like to change the insulator on the straps.

I assume they have some sort if insulator, rubber or foam. Does anyone know the width of the straps? I can't check as I'm not at home, I'm guessing about an inch?

Does anyone know a good place to get these or should I just buy a strip of rubber and stick it on, would closed cell foam possibly be better?

Its a custom made tank, not an original one so the shape won't be exactly the same but should be close.

Ian

Club Member
Just had a look. On mine: strip of rubber 1 3/8" wide (same width as straps), 1mm thick.
Thanks for that, wider than I thought.

I wonder if plasti dip would be any good for that
Thats a good suggestion, it might work but I think you'd need to make it quite thick to have enouh protection/cushioning. I've got some at home so I might have a look.

andrew muir

Club Member
Yes need mine replaced as well.
I was going to cut up an old innertube, but a non rubber substance would be better for petrol, I think?

zedhed

Club Member
Yes need mine replaced as well.
I was going to cut up an old innertube, but a non rubber substance would be better for petrol, I think?

my thinking - rubber perishes silicon doesn't, the rubber on mine was shot but then so was the tank, leaked all over the place due to a hole in one corner. Now patching with stainless after pressure teasing the thing...anywhere on this car I can take some preventative measures I will...