Fuel rails and other things to replace when the SU carbs are off

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi everyone,

I’m starting to pull together a parts list for when I remove my carbs to fit new headers later this year. In particular I want to replace my rusty fuel rails (I think that is what they are called).

I’d welcome any tips on what should be on my parts list? All part of tidying up the engine bay and making it run smoother.

I’ve got a ‘73 US 240z with L28 block.

Thanks, Graeme

8bcd8ac151f2f230160b59f65cb777a9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farmer42

Club Member
Imo your engine bay looks ok- certainly tidier than mine!

You might find it difficult to get hold of a fuel rail that is in any better condition unless you can find one from one of the US Z suppliers. If it is only surface rust and you don't have any pinhole leaks you may be able to remove it with some fine wire wool and then repaint it with hammerite or chrome spray. If you want to be fancy, you could get it zinc or chrome plated where the dipping will remove any crud.

Other than that, you could replace the hoses and rubber fuel lines with braided or silicone if you want to go all blingy.

By the way, are you running a mechanical points dizzy? If so, you might find swapping it to electronic will help it run better. There are plenty of threads on here about doing that but the favourites are Lumenition or a 280zx E12-80 dizzy.

richiep

Club Member
Just get the fuel rail and other similar items replated- if the basic condition is good underneath any surface oxidation they will come up nicely. Take some time and have a search for metal platers in your area.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Just get the fuel rail and other similar items replated- if the basic condition is good underneath any surface oxidation they will come up nicely. Take some time and have a search for metal platers in your area.

Ah yes, plating seems to be the thing to do. Also considering refurbishing my SU carbs before new headers go in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk