Fuel Pump

iandecjak

Club Member
Dizzy passed her MOT today (4 years straight through now:thumbs:) but the kind mechanic showed me some dampness around the fuel pump; which looks to be the original (from 1979) and I need to now find a replacement.
Looking on fleabay it looks like I can only get an original from US at silly money or alternatively look to install an universal one.
Anyone know where in UK I could find a straight replacement and if not anyone fitted an universal and did new electrical connectors, bracket and pipes have to be installed - as you can see I am looking for the easiest option :)
Any feedback, as usual greatly appreciated.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ian, safe to assume you have a mech fuel pump?

I bought one from Australia using fleeBay and it looks perfectly original - except that it pumps the wrong way!!!!! To cix that is probably quite a simple case of taking off the top hat and rotating things 180 degrees - but I haven't had a chance yet.

I've seen a lot of people use these ....
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=310885199331&globalID=EBAY-GB

And if you really wNt to be silly, you can try this ....

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271920658027&globalID=EBAY-GB

Farmer42

Club Member
Dizzy passed her MOT today (4 years straight through now:thumbs:) but the kind mechanic showed me some dampness around the fuel pump; which looks to be the original (from 1979) and I need to now find a replacement.
Looking on fleabay it looks like I can only get an original from US at silly money or alternatively look to install an universal one.
Anyone know where in UK I could find a straight replacement and if not anyone fitted an universal and did new electrical connectors, bracket and pipes have to be installed - as you can see I am looking for the easiest option :)
Any feedback, as usual greatly appreciated.

Ian

Bought a Facet silvertop pump from a company called Fuelpumps online based in Bristol for about £108. Works great and came really quick being just down the road from me. Link below:

http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/

Paul

datsfun

Club Member
A word of caution- if you go electric, you need an external out of tank unit--easy oversight when buying. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Huw

Club Member
Hi Mate

I assume its for a 280ZX? Ped on here started a good thread for pump replacement on a 280ZX http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22810&highlight=fuel+pump.

He got his from Mike Feeney at MJP. I also got one from the same place, good picture of what you get on the thread above. Easy to fit as fits in the old pump clamp, but you do need fabricate something to hold the pre- filter in place that comes with the pump. I used an old coil clamp screwed to the back of the fuel pump bracket and covered it with a thin rubber sheet as it looked a little exposed.

Im in Bristol if you want to come and have a look at some point.

Cheers

Huw

iandecjak

Club Member
Thanks for responses - sorry yes it is a 280zx 1979 with the electric pump fitted on the underbody just right of the diff.

iandecjak

Club Member
Paul hiya - what was the car and year?
Looks like a good alternative, was there much in the way of mods to do apart from electrical connectors and filter bracket?
whereabouts in Bristol are you I am in Emersons Green but cant remember seeing many other Z's in the area.

ian

Huw

Club Member
What ever route you go, I would recommend you have a pre-filter or a pump with one fitted. Cheaper than changing pumps when they clog with crud.

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi Ian

My car is a 75 Fairlady Z 2+2 (260Z to most).

It was a single wire connection to a positive feed with the earth to the body through the bracket. Like your ZX, it also bolts on to the right of the diff.

The bracket on the pump didn't bolt straight on and I had to make something up - not difficult - 2 strips of steel with 2 holes in each. Took about 1/2 hour to fit including making the brackets.

The Facet pump has an internal filter but I would recommend an in-line pre-filter as Huw suggested with the pump from MJP as it will stop all the crud and will be easier to replace than taking the bottom off the pump. When you do change the pump, remember to clamp the fuel line from the tank otherwise you will get petrol pouring out (bitter experience!!:()

I live near Page Park in Downend. I have seen a ZX on the Westerleigh Road although I can't remember the colour so it could have been yours. Mine is white.

Ped

Club Member
Hi Ian, if you are not in a rush I think Mike Feeney can get the original pumps from Japan. Otherwise he can supply you with the kit I have fitted.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm pretty sure those facet pumps are only good for carbs - they don't have the pressure needed for EFI like on the 280zx

Farmer42

Club Member
I'm pretty sure those facet pumps are only good for carbs - they don't have the pressure needed for EFI like on the 280zx

Ian

Jonbills is quite right & it actually says it's "for carburettors only". I posted the website details before I realised that you had a ZX with injection.

Might be worth giving them a call though as they also do pumps for fuel injected cars. They may be able to match something to your current pump. Otherwise, Mike at MJP is your best bet.

Paul

iandecjak

Club Member
Thanks, yes I looked at the psi and it seemed low for injection which was going to be my next question......:smash:

Mike at MJP has provided a cost which is cheaper than the US alternative and provides a pre filter which you are all advising on.

Plan will be to get some new 8mm fuel line, clamps and coil 'p' clamp and set to once the kit arrives from MJP.

I will post end result :unsure: although I am not sure I will be able to get it to look as good as others it seems a better option than just refitting with OEM pattern.

Two responses from Bristol based Z's so will keep my eyes open when out and about this summer - if you see me please stop for a chat:thumbs:......

Ian

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Two responses from Bristol based Z's so will keep my eyes open when out and about this summer - if you see me please stop for a chat:thumbs:......

Ian
Surly the easiest way to have a chat is not to wait for the off chance that you bump into each other when you are out in your Zs but to arrange a date a time and location arround Bristol and meet up there
Who knows you might even attract some more local Z enthusiasts to venture along

Farmer42

Club Member
Surly the easiest way to have a chat is not to wait for the off chance that you bump into each other when you are out in your Zs but to arrange a date a time and location arround Bristol and meet up there
Who knows you might even attract some more local Z enthusiasts to venture along

Was thinking the same thing. There are more than 2 Bristol based Z's and there are a few in the surrounding area too. Met Huw and 1 other chap from Bristol (name escapes me) at Japfest back in May. There is also a blue 240Z from the Stoke Gifford area that went to Berkeley Classic Car show last year.

Trouble is that with this ****** weather, I'm struggling to get the car out of the garage. I have missed 3 car shows/meets so far this year because of the rain, one of which was supposed to be today so organising something where people commit to a time & date is a bit of a lottery. The other problem is time. The 2 never seem to coincide at the moment:confused:.

I don't mind organising something for August for the Bristol area (or anyone else for that matter), weather permitting and I will put something out in another thread at some point.

Paul

iandecjak

Club Member
I am up for something; didn't want to push too much as I know it is not everyone's cup of tea and some people join the club for technical support only.

I am hoping to be at Sunday's bash and there are a number of local shows coming up which could offer an opportunity to meet up.

Ian

iandecjak

Club Member
So the new pump, in line filter and adapter parts arrived from MJP (thanks Mike) in double quick time as did the new fuel hose, hose clips and coil bracket from fleabay.

Started by replacing the fuel filter in the engine bay as I was not sure when it was done last and thought if operating the cold start valve didn't release the pressure in the system it would be better to find out leaning into the engine bay rather than laying under the car!

Jacked up the car as high as I could and put on axle stands which gave good access to the area.

Getting off the hose from tank to existing pump was easy enough but my attempt to clamp the hose didn't work well so ended up inserting long M12 bolt into the hose and re-clamping to stop leaking - small bucket to hand helped here.

Next task was to tackle the fuel damper hose and I ended up taking the damper off the body as hoses needed to be replaced due to age. Damper body was rusted badly although the pipework looked fine so cleaned up and painted with de-rust and left to dry.

Undoing the fuel pump bracket to car body bolts was easy after liberal use of WD40 which just left the tricky issue of the electrical connectors. I am not sure if it was the original 1979 pump but the electrical connectors had what can only be described as a hard wax blobbed all over them which would just not come off. As there was plenty of wire I ended up cutting both leads in order to remove the unit.

On the bench it was plain to see that the clamp screws were rusted and sawing heads off and drilling out the rest of the bolts was the only option. Bit messy but eventually I was able to tap out to M6 for St St bolts.
Mike was adamant about installing the in line filter between pump and tank which was not an issue but needed a bit of fiddling. The coil bracket from a US V8 motor worked really well but in the end I had to bias the pump slightly in the clamp to allow the hose to filter to fit without clashing with the diff.

All else fitted back as it should and the painted damper looked fine with new hose.

Electrical connectors are quite fiddly but with new parts crimped and soldered on the wires were routed and clipped all finally covered in Moly grease.

Reconnected battery and engine started on third turnover.

Frist drive was really impressive, before there were little flat spots that I put down to throttle linkage sticking as it was always in the first few degrees of pedal movement. That seems to have disappeared now and overall the engine seems to be smoother and quicker - which is great and not expected.

The trip from Bristol to Beaulieu and back was trouble free and driving across the New Forest with the sun shining and the engine purring bought a big grin to my face.

So thanks to all who offered advice and Mike at MJP for coming through with the bits.....

Huw

Club Member
Glad you got it sorted out, the pre filter is a must. Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you at beaulieu, I'm in Whitchurch so you are always welcome to pop around, I'm not going anywhere in the 280 at the mo.:(