Fuel pump filters | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

Fuel pump filters

Discussion in '240Z / 260Z / 280Z' started by kitesurfer, Mar 2, 2017.

1. kitesurfer

kitesurfer New Forum User

As part of my plan to have my 240z on the road for April I thought I would change the electric fuel pump filter....glad I did. Attached picture showing old and new. Anyone had worse?

Attached Files:

2. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Membership Secretary Staff Member Committee Member

That is very very common on these cars, I've said it many times.

All mine (on 3 cars) have tended to be full of very fine beige particles (rust).

3. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

Doesn't look too bad. I'm sure you could back flush it and get a bit more life from it.

4. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator
    Staff Member Committee Member

Ha :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo 1978 260z in yellow

ready-rads do a tank clean (and weld if it needs it) to remove rust for about £150
    mine had holes in it and they repaired it.

6. kitesurfer

Thanks Jimbo,
    I was hoping not to remove the tank but looking at the manual it seems fairly straightforward. I have all the lights to rewire to european standards which will take a few weeks as I'm after new rear lenses. My contact in the states reackons they will have stock soon. Given the wait and still a list of jobs to do, I think I will take your advice and remove the tank. If nothing else it can be painted to protect it.

7. Huw

Huw
    Z Club Member
    Staff Member

if you are taking the tank off, Frost do a really good DIY tank sealing kit. Three stage process, degrease and de gunk, rust treatment and final sealing coat. its a bit messy but the results were very good. Worth looking at as a option. I did mine on my 280ZX and very pleased with it.

Huw

8. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator
    Staff Member Committee Member

Once you've fixed your tank, I'd advocate a bottle of Wynn's dry fuel once a year to help keep the rust away.

9. kitesurfer

Thanks Huw,
    Useful to have a recommendation. I've seen them advertised but was a bit unsure about purchasing. I will take a closer look. Just had a delivery from them today...classic engine oil as part of my planned oil and filter change.